From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

> You should learn "C" before you try sockets.

Don't fall for it. See what Jens Thoms Toerring wrote in the last Bill
Cunningham and sockets thread.

From: Bill Cunningham on

"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM> wrote
in message
> Don't fall for it. See what Jens Thoms Toerring wrote in the last Bill
> Cunningham and sockets thread.

I usually don't respond to these types of messages but you need to
atleast be truthfull. I have only begun studying sockets. I have pretty much
mastered the ncurses API and have high hopes about other things. This is not
clc either. Sure I'd like to do many things I don't have the knowledge for
but posix I want to learn.

I owe you no explainations.

From: Barry Margolin on
In article <4bbcb736$0$12424$bbae4d71(a)news.suddenlink.net>,
"Bill Cunningham" <nospam(a)nspam.invalid> wrote:

> "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM> wrote
> in message
> > Don't fall for it. See what Jens Thoms Toerring wrote in the last Bill
> > Cunningham and sockets thread.
>
> I usually don't respond to these types of messages but you need to
> atleast be truthfull. I have only begun studying sockets. I have pretty much
> mastered the ncurses API and have high hopes about other things. This is not
> clc either. Sure I'd like to do many things I don't have the knowledge for
> but posix I want to learn.
>
> I owe you no explainations.

How could you have "mastered the ncurses API" when you've demonstrated
in the "error [socket]" thread that you don't understand some basic
aspects of C programming?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on
Given that M. Margolin hasn't done the Googling, yet:

>> Don't fall for it. See what Jens Thoms Toerring wrote in the last
>> Bill Cunningham and sockets thread.
>>
> I usually don't respond to these types of messages but you need to at
> least be truthfull. I have only begun studying sockets. [...]
The truth is that you were "studying sockets" six years ago in
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 and
microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ole, where you were asking Win32
programmers WinSock-flavoured versions of the questions that you are now
asking Unix programmers. Your postings would have the world think that
you have made zero progress in learning how to compile even basic C
programs in eight years, when you first started talking about how you
were using DJGPP and mingw. Indeed you are trying to convince people
that you have less grasp of things now than you did when you were
talking about recompiling gcc in comp.os.linux.development.apps in 2005,
or about the Standard C library in kernel-mode code in comp.lang.c back
in 2003, or about microkernels in comp.os.linux.development.system in
2002, or about how to use DJGPP in comp.os.linux in 2002, or about Win32
API programming in comp.programming in 2002.

More and more people are not going to fall for this any more. Jens
Thoms Toerring has sussed you. santosh and Mark McIntyre sussed you in
2005. They'll all no doubt be disappointed to learn that it took them
longer than Eric Tomson, who sussed you in 2002 when you asked Linus
Torvalds silly questions on the IETF mailing list.

From: Bill Cunningham on

"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM> wrote
in message news:IU.D20100408.T092310.P742.Q0(a)J.de.Boyne.Pollard.localhost...

> The truth is that you were "studying sockets"

Looking into sockets maybe. I went no where with it.

six years ago in
> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 and
> microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ole, where you were asking Win32
> programmers WinSock-flavoured versions of the questions that you are now
> asking Unix programmers. Your postings would have the world think that
> you have made zero progress

No progress in C is an overstatement.

in learning how to compile even basic C
> programs in eight years,

I do not admittedly when you first started talking about how you
> were using DJGPP and mingw. Indeed you are trying to convince people that
> you have less grasp of things now than you did when you were talking about
> recompiling gcc in comp.os.linux.development.apps in 2005,

Looks like someone has been doing there googling. And looking at every
little statement I have made. I have asked alot of things and never followed
up on them.

> or about the Standard C library in kernel-mode code in comp.lang.c back in
> 2003, or about microkernels in comp.os.linux.development.system in 2002,

micro kernels? I don't remember that one. Enlighten me.

or about how to use DJGPP in comp.os.linux in 2002, or about Win32
> API programming in comp.programming in 2002.

No win API. No way.

> More and more people are not going to fall for this any more.

Fall for what?
Jens
> Thoms Toerring has sussed you. santosh and Mark McIntyre sussed you in
> 2005. They'll all no doubt be disappointed to learn that it took them
> longer than Eric Tomson, who sussed you in 2002 when you asked Linus
> Torvalds silly questions on the IETF mailing list.

Hummm [scrathing chin] Don't remember "Eric Tomson" but I do IETF. Was
he the one who threatened to cut me off the list if I asked a "silly
question"?

Look here's the bottom line. If you want to save the world from me the
horrible monster go ahead. But like it or not I will learn C. I have chosen
posix. Not kernel programming, win32 API, winsock or anything else but
ncurses. I might ask about something but I am only going to follow through
with C, posix, and ncurses. I do not claim to be a C expert and may never
be. Twenty years from now you may look up this thread and see that I am
doing something else. But for now 3 things on my plate. I learn by doing. By
reading not much as so. I have never studied winsockets and I won't. Posix I
intend to as I have put out money for a book. I do not myself think
conversation about something is a "crime" as evidently you do but you have
your world. I will shout at the world "I do not know C and *will* learn it
and I will make progress no matter how slow." And I say again not learning
anything in six years isn't fair.

~B