From: Egan on
Hi. I need an Access (or maybe Excel) template to help me create bills of
materials. A worksheet with a list of items (record) with the fields "Part
number", "description" and "cost". I then need to be able create a BOM by
entering the "part number" and have the "description" and "cost" as well as
"selling price" (cost + profit %) calculated.

Thanks in advance. Chris.
From: Steve on
Hello Chris,

If you want, I can create a BOM database for you. I provide help with Access
applications for a very reasonable fee. My fee to help you would be nominal.
Contact me if you would like my help.

Steve
santus(a)penn.com

From: Larry Linson on
Steve, where are you going to spam unsuspecting users once these newsgroups
are closed on 6/1/2010? I wouldn't recommend CDMA because quite a few
people knowledgeable about you are "coming home" to CDMA and they'll be "on
you" like the proverbial "duck on a June bug" -- not even a semi-moderator
to advice them to "take it easy".

--
Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley

From: Larry Linson on
That may not be too difficult a database application to create if your
requirements are as simple as they can be... but if you need to define and
refer to assemblies within assemblies it is not so simple. I was acquainted
with some mainframe software for Bill of Material Processing, and it could
be quite complex.

I recommend you do NOT make use of anyone who panders their for-fee services
in a newsgroup (this one, for instance) which is intended for free support.
In particular, Mr. Steve "my fees are very reasonable" Santus has, on rare
occasions, posted actual answers to questions here (not "hire me" messages)
and there have been so many errors in his answers that experienced users
have commented here that no fee is sufficiently reasonable for solutions
that do not work.

From: Egan on
Thanks for the warnings guys. My requirements really are that simple. If
no-one can suggest a template, how about some pointers? Access or Excell? I'm
reasonably comfortable with basic formulas in Excell and I did some messing
about with Access a few years ago. I'm familliar with one-to-many
relationships and normalisation etc. I just don't have the time do devote to
learning it all again from scratch.