From: glee on
"isaacc" <isaacc(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I'm experiencing the weirdest problem that suddenly cropped up.
> Capital 'H'
> has been re-assigned such that it switches to Windows Explorer if an
> instance
> of Windows Explorer is open. I'll be typing in Word for example and
> suddenly
> I switch to Windows Explorer but it happens whiule using any
> application. It
> is most annoying to have to remember always whether I have an instance
> of
> Windows Explorer open.
>
> Where would I look to see if a keyboard letter has been re-assigned by
> some
> malicious app for example. I looked in the Control Panel but I don't
> see
> where individual key assignments can be made.
>
> Thanks.

Capital H means you are using Shift+H to type the capital.
You may have a keyboard shortcut set up (with or without your knowledge)
to do this, that uses Shift+H, perhaps in combination with the Ctrl key
(like Ctrl+Shift+H) and the Ctrl key is electronically stuck. First
thing to try (with all programs closed) is to repeatedly tap the Ctrl
keys and then the Alt keys and then the Shift keys, as this will
sometimes "unstick" them temporarily, as will a reboot.

Install and run this little free utility:
Shortcuts Map - manage hotkeys assigned to Windows shortcuts
http://www.zealsoft.com/shortcuts/

Look through the keyboard shortcuts it lists on your system, and see if
any include the H key or the Shift+H combination.

Post back with what you find.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"glee" <glee29(a)spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> "isaacc" <isaacc(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm experiencing the weirdest problem that suddenly cropped up. Capital
>> 'H'
>> has been re-assigned such that it switches to Windows Explorer if an
>> instance
>> of Windows Explorer is open. I'll be typing in Word for example and
>> suddenly
>> I switch to Windows Explorer but it happens whiule using any application.
>> It
>> is most annoying to have to remember always whether I have an instance of
>> Windows Explorer open.
>>
>> Where would I look to see if a keyboard letter has been re-assigned by
>> some
>> malicious app for example. I looked in the Control Panel but I don't see
>> where individual key assignments can be made.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Capital H means you are using Shift+H to type the capital.
> You may have a keyboard shortcut set up (with or without your knowledge)
> to do this, that uses Shift+H, perhaps in combination with the Ctrl key
> (like Ctrl+Shift+H) and the Ctrl key is electronically stuck. First thing
> to try (with all programs closed) is to repeatedly tap the Ctrl keys and
> then the Alt keys and then the Shift keys, as this will sometimes
> "unstick" them temporarily, as will a reboot.
>
> Install and run this little free utility:
> Shortcuts Map - manage hotkeys assigned to Windows shortcuts
> http://www.zealsoft.com/shortcuts/
>
> Look through the keyboard shortcuts it lists on your system, and see if
> any include the H key or the Shift+H combination.
>
> Post back with what you find.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> A+
> http://dts-l.net/

Nifty utility. Unfortunately it appears to employ some dirty tricks -
Windows 7 does not like it one bit!

From: glee on
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "glee" <glee29(a)spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> snip
>>
>> Capital H means you are using Shift+H to type the capital.
>> You may have a keyboard shortcut set up (with or without your
>> knowledge) to do this, that uses Shift+H, perhaps in combination with
>> the Ctrl key (like Ctrl+Shift+H) and the Ctrl key is electronically
>> stuck. First thing to try (with all programs closed) is to
>> repeatedly tap the Ctrl keys and then the Alt keys and then the Shift
>> keys, as this will sometimes "unstick" them temporarily, as will a
>> reboot.
>>
>> Install and run this little free utility:
>> Shortcuts Map - manage hotkeys assigned to Windows shortcuts
>> http://www.zealsoft.com/shortcuts/
>>
>> Look through the keyboard shortcuts it lists on your system, and see
>> if any include the H key or the Shift+H combination.
>>
>> Post back with what you find.
>
> Nifty utility. Unfortunately it appears to employ some dirty tricks -
> Windows 7 does not like it one bit!

The web page states it's only compatible up to XP...so it likely won't
work on Vista and Seven. Too bad....I like it. I've used it since my
Win95 days.

From: HeyBub on
isaacc wrote:
> I appreciate the effort in responsing but I'm not sure how your
> advice makes any sesne. In any other application the keyboard
> correctly generates a capital 'H'. Only when Windows Explorer is open
> is the capital 'H' intercepted and sends the focus to Windows
> Explorer.

The centuries of combined experience on this group causes "another keyboard"
to bubble up to the top of the diagnostic tools and fixes for just such a
symptom.

It doesn't matter whether it makes sense to you. A different keyboard is the
virtually unanimous suggestion.

Try a different keyboard and report back.

From: Richard E Richard on
Isaacc

You not going mad I have the same problem on 2 different computers.

Both with lower case h moving focus to Windows Explorer. Both running XP Home.

It's NOT the keyboard!!!!

Any ideas, other than change keyboard, much appreciated :)

Richard