From: Jeremy Poynton on
XP SP3 all up to date. Two logins, both admin

I installed the MS Security Essentials a while back. Very good, tiny
footprint and seems very secure. However, since that time, both logins have
displayed the same behaviour - not all system tray icons are displayed; there
is no pattern to this, except that the MSE icon is always one of them.

As I am not happy that it is running OK when not displayed in the system
tray, this means that we each have to log in a couple of times (second login
is ALWAYS ok), to ensure we are fully protected.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix it; this has been
a very stable machine for ages, and I am pretty PC literate going back to
Windows 95.

Does the update also update the software, or just the virus definitions?
Certainly, nothing has shown up in Windows Update with regard to a software
update.

From: Db on
what you might try is
to launch the task
manager ctrl+alt+del

then under the process
tab, kill all instances of
explorer.exe

then go to the applications
tab and launch explorer.exe

if the desktop appears in
its entirety then the issue
may be a sign that the
registry is not loading.

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

From: bahrouz on
i ever once tried microsoft security essentials , my system started to
freeze and act strangely , after i removed it the system came back to
work as a breeze , remove that software and try something better from
people who write programs for windows better than microsoft ,its
ironic i know but its the truth

From: Twayne on
In news:ae995877-b9f4-4ff7-908d-25814e904808(a)c11g2000vbe.googlegroups.com,
bahrouz <bahrouz.el3ayar(a)gmail.com> typed:
> i ever once tried microsoft security essentials , my system
> started to freeze and act strangely , after i removed it
> the system came back to work as a breeze , remove that
> software and try something better from people who write
> programs for windows better than microsoft ,its ironic i
> know but its the truth

It's only "the truth" in your opinion, which is far from the majority and
IMO untrue. I tried MSE, didn't think much of it and removed it, but ...
never say anything like that with it. Did you bother to read the
installation prerequisites and instructons? Did you contact Support and ask
what might be up with it? They may know right off the bat or at least have
things for you to try.
Often MS products aren't able to live along with certain other programs,
too. Rude & crude, but that's one that IS the truth!
The other possibility of course is malware at work somewhere that's not
noticeable yet and which MSE may have uncovered. Worms like to work slowly
like that and any dropper malware too.

HTH,

Twayne`