From: Doug McIntyre on
dkcombs(a)panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>Subj: Blade-100. Sun says "the (two) INTERNAL disks are limited to 20G each"
>Some months ago I asked about putting in 50gig drives instead.
>Some people said that it oughta work just fine.
>Question: what's the consensus now? Blade 100.

Just because Sun only sold them with max 20GB or 40GB drives, thats the
only size they put in the docs. It doesn't make it the limit for
actually using things, that limit comes in from other factors.

I have dual 120GB drives running right now (and for the last ~6+ years)
in my SunBlade 100. No problems. Just had to add the other IDE cable.

You do have to deal with the lack of Ultra-ATA (apparently in the
OpenFirmware layer) so 120GB is the max size you can use with the
built in controller.
From: David Combs on
In article <4c56fbcf$0$55707$8046368a(a)newsreader.iphouse.net>,
Doug McIntyre <merlyn(a)geeks.org> wrote:
>dkcombs(a)panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>>Subj: Blade-100. Sun says "the (two) INTERNAL disks are limited to 20G each"
>>Some months ago I asked about putting in 50gig drives instead.
>>Some people said that it oughta work just fine.
>>Question: what's the consensus now? Blade 100.
>

>Just because Sun only sold them with max 20GB or 40GB drives, thats the
>only size they put in the docs. It doesn't make it the limit for
>actually using things, that limit comes in from other factors.
>
>I have dual 120GB drives running right now (and for the last ~6+ years)
>in my SunBlade 100. No problems. Just had to add the other IDE cable.
>
>You do have to deal with the lack of Ultra-ATA (apparently in the
>OpenFirmware layer) so 120GB is the max size you can use with the
>built in controller.

THANK YOU!

David