From: Steve Giannoni on
How often is this required for a typical system? Even after nearly a
year, there was relatively little dust ...
From: Jan Alter on
"Steve Giannoni" <casagiannoni(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
> How often is this required for a typical system? Even after nearly a
> year, there was relatively little dust ...

Depends on how dusty a location the computer is kept.
One wants to avoid dust coatings on the electrical parts, since the dust
creates an insulation jacket that helps retain heat. When you see dust
forming on the fan leaves,cpu heatsink on the PS exhaust fan, those are
easily viewable areas to indicate it's time for a blow out.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: Grinder on
On 5/17/2010 3:57 PM, Steve Giannoni wrote:
> How often is this required for a typical system? Even after nearly a
> year, there was relatively little dust ...

There's no way you can expect a specific answer from such a general
question -- you'll only get senior citizen underwear: Depends.

I will add, though, that pets are a big factor. Their hair helps to
form a matrix for the dust to collection. I blast out my desktop, which
sits on the floor, every few months because of my jackass cats.
From: Sjouke Burry on
Steve Giannoni wrote:
> How often is this required for a typical system? Even after nearly a
> year, there was relatively little dust ...
I done it about every 2 years, but it depends heavily on
the location of the computer.
If it is sitting (almost ) on the floor, and people walking
along closely, once or twice a year.
My supply unit was a bit dusty, and the cooling block on the
processor had more fluff on it between its ribs than I like.
I occasionally check with SPEEEDFAN(google) to see whether the
temperature is oke.....
From memory: temperature around 55 celcius.
Now: cpu censors:nr1 not working,nr2 is 47, nr3 42,HD0 41,HD1 47 .
The cleaning round seems to have worked, ~10 deg C improvement :)
For silicium chips, every 5-6 degr down,doubles lifetime.
From: Jan Alter on
"Joel" <Joel(a)NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> Grinder <grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/17/2010 3:57 PM, Steve Giannoni wrote:
>> > How often is this required for a typical system? Even after nearly a
>> > year, there was relatively little dust ...
>>
>> There's no way you can expect a specific answer from such a general
>> question -- you'll only get senior citizen underwear: Depends.
>>
>> I will add, though, that pets are a big factor. Their hair helps to
>> form a matrix for the dust to collection. I blast out my desktop, which
>> sits on the floor, every few months because of my jackass cats.
>
> I agree that someone askes some silly question that most people can't come
> up with a silly answer.

Actually I don't consider the question silly at all. The poster may be naive
or inexperienced, but he's rightfully concerned.
Too often on newsgroups responders to questions are ready to jump down the
throats of neophytes to make them feel bad for asking for help that others
feel are obvious to the answer.
--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net