From: Joe on
There sure seems to be a lot of people in need of remedial
reading-for-content involved in the thread about sailing downwind.

First of all, in all the posts that I can stand to read, John Larkin is
NOT saying that his wind-propelled object would move FASTER than the
tailwind, just that it WOULD move in the direction of the tailwind.

Second, some people seem to misinterpret John's comments and argue against
their erroneous interpretation of John's comment, or seem to say (*seem
to*, because some of their rants are not very coherent) that an object
cannot be wind propelled at all by a tailwind, regardless of the
contrivance (e.g., windmill driving a gearbox).

Third, I don't know why John hasn't set these people straight, nor do I
understand why this thread has forked in two:

Direct Downwind Faster Than the Wind (DDWFTTW)

vs

Direct Downwind NOT Faster Than the Wind (ddwNfttw).

Those that are arguing against ddwNfttw probably would argue that an
electrical generator cannot supply the electricity that powers its own
field ELECTROmagnets.

Sheesh!

--- Joe
From: Joe on
In article
<none-3107101753220001(a)dialup-4.231.172.30.dial1.losangeles1.level3.net>,
none(a)given.now (Joe) wrote:

> There sure seems to be a lot of people in need of remedial
> reading-for-content involved in the thread about sailing downwind.
>
> First of all, in all the posts that I can stand to read, John Larkin is
> NOT saying that his wind-propelled object would move FASTER than the
> tailwind, just that it WOULD move in the direction of the tailwind.
>
> Second, some people seem to misinterpret John's comments and argue against
> their erroneous interpretation of John's comment, or seem to say (*seem
> to*, because some of their rants are not very coherent) that an object
> cannot be wind propelled at all by a tailwind, regardless of the
> contrivance (e.g., windmill driving a gearbox).
>
> Third, I don't know why John hasn't set these people straight, nor do I
> understand why this thread has forked in two:
>
> Direct Downwind Faster Than the Wind (DDWFTTW)
>
> vs
>
> Direct Downwind NOT Faster Than the Wind (ddwNfttw).
>
> Those that are arguing against ddwNfttw probably would argue that an
> electrical generator cannot supply the electricity that powers its own
> field ELECTROmagnets.
>
> Sheesh!
>
> --- Joe

Gulp!

I read too much of that thread and became addled. What John said is so
amazingly simple and obvious, and the people that were arguing against it
so confused, that it seems to have rubbed off on me.

John merely said that an object could be wind propelled directly into a
headwind by way of say, a windmill turning a gearbox and some wheels.

As long as the widmill is allowed to orient itself into the wind (they
usually swivel) the wind powered wheeled vehicle can go in *any*
direction.

--- Joe
From: John Larkin on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:12:26 -0700, none(a)given.now (Joe) wrote:

>In article
><none-3107101753220001(a)dialup-4.231.172.30.dial1.losangeles1.level3.net>,
>none(a)given.now (Joe) wrote:
>
>> There sure seems to be a lot of people in need of remedial
>> reading-for-content involved in the thread about sailing downwind.
>>
>> First of all, in all the posts that I can stand to read, John Larkin is
>> NOT saying that his wind-propelled object would move FASTER than the
>> tailwind, just that it WOULD move in the direction of the tailwind.
>>
>> Second, some people seem to misinterpret John's comments and argue against
>> their erroneous interpretation of John's comment, or seem to say (*seem
>> to*, because some of their rants are not very coherent) that an object
>> cannot be wind propelled at all by a tailwind, regardless of the
>> contrivance (e.g., windmill driving a gearbox).
>>
>> Third, I don't know why John hasn't set these people straight, nor do I
>> understand why this thread has forked in two:
>>
>> Direct Downwind Faster Than the Wind (DDWFTTW)
>>
>> vs
>>
>> Direct Downwind NOT Faster Than the Wind (ddwNfttw).
>>
>> Those that are arguing against ddwNfttw probably would argue that an
>> electrical generator cannot supply the electricity that powers its own
>> field ELECTROmagnets.
>>
>> Sheesh!
>>
>> --- Joe
>
>Gulp!
>
>I read too much of that thread and became addled. What John said is so
>amazingly simple and obvious, and the people that were arguing against it
>so confused, that it seems to have rubbed off on me.
>
>John merely said that an object could be wind propelled directly into a
>headwind by way of say, a windmill turning a gearbox and some wheels.

Yes, I did say that. It's fairly obvious. What I don't know is how
fast it could move windward, and whether it could actually move faster
upwind than the wind speed. Apparently people have hit numbers like
60% or some such.

The straight downwind, faster than the wind, case probably works too.
It is sure counter-intuitive.

>As long as the widmill is allowed to orient itself into the wind (they
>usually swivel) the wind powered wheeled vehicle can go in *any*
>direction.

Yup.

John

From: Roger Dewhurst on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:12:26 -0700, none(a)given.now (Joe) wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <none-3107101753220001(a)dialup-4.231.172.30.dial1.losangeles1.level3.net>,
>> none(a)given.now (Joe) wrote:
>>
>>> There sure seems to be a lot of people in need of remedial
>>> reading-for-content involved in the thread about sailing downwind.
>>>
>>> First of all, in all the posts that I can stand to read, John Larkin is
>>> NOT saying that his wind-propelled object would move FASTER than the
>>> tailwind, just that it WOULD move in the direction of the tailwind.
>>>
>>> Second, some people seem to misinterpret John's comments and argue against
>>> their erroneous interpretation of John's comment, or seem to say (*seem
>>> to*, because some of their rants are not very coherent) that an object
>>> cannot be wind propelled at all by a tailwind, regardless of the
>>> contrivance (e.g., windmill driving a gearbox).
>>>
>>> Third, I don't know why John hasn't set these people straight, nor do I
>>> understand why this thread has forked in two:
>>>
>>> Direct Downwind Faster Than the Wind (DDWFTTW)
>>>
>>> vs
>>>
>>> Direct Downwind NOT Faster Than the Wind (ddwNfttw).
>>>
>>> Those that are arguing against ddwNfttw probably would argue that an
>>> electrical generator cannot supply the electricity that powers its own
>>> field ELECTROmagnets.
>>>
>>> Sheesh!
>>>
>>> --- Joe
>> Gulp!
>>
>> I read too much of that thread and became addled. What John said is so
>> amazingly simple and obvious, and the people that were arguing against it
>> so confused, that it seems to have rubbed off on me.
>>
>> John merely said that an object could be wind propelled directly into a
>> headwind by way of say, a windmill turning a gearbox and some wheels.
>
> Yes, I did say that. It's fairly obvious. What I don't know is how
> fast it could move windward, and whether it could actually move faster
> upwind than the wind speed. Apparently people have hit numbers like
> 60% or some such.
>
> The straight downwind, faster than the wind, case probably works too.
> It is sure counter-intuitive.
>
>> As long as the widmill is allowed to orient itself into the wind (they
>> usually swivel) the wind powered wheeled vehicle can go in *any*
>> direction.
>
> Yup.
>
> John

Light sailing boats can sail faster than the wind but not downwind or
with the wind abaft the beam. They are not reliant on the wind pushing
the concave side of the sail but the combined effect of low pressure on
the convex side of the sail, (Bernoullis Law) and the centrifugal force
of the wind rotating in the concave curve of the sail.