From: visuals4u on
Just rec'd a blue screen on Thursday that references the file - rdbss.sys. I
have rec'd a Windows XP disk from the repair tech that worked on my computer
on Tuesday. Said it could be used if I rec'd another blue screen. Can someone
give me step-by-step directions on what to do when I insert the disk?
From: Brian A. on
"visuals4u" <visuals4u(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just rec'd a blue screen on Thursday that references the file -
> rdbss.sys. I have rec'd a Windows XP disk from the repair tech that
> worked on my computer on Tuesday. Said it could be used if I rec'd
> another blue screen. Can someone give me step-by-step directions on what
> to do when I insert the disk?

The file rdbss = Redirected Drive Buffering SubSystem
For more info see:

What issue(s)/problem(s) were you having prior to calling a "repair tech"?
Please provide detailed information on any issue/problem, error message(s), when
it occured, what you were doing at the time, your OS and SP version, etc.

Check event viewer for any clue for what caused the issue/problem and a
possible resolution.
Click Start > Run, type in: eventvwr.msc and press Enter or click Ok.
Expand the event viewer window.
Click once on either Applications or System in the Left pane.
Double click on an error listed in the Right pane to bring up a details window.
Click the link if present at the end of the description to a page with a
"possible solution".

--

Brian A. Sesko
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Post the STOP error number (e.g., 0X000000F4).

From: visuals4u on
I started getting blue screens about two months ago. Originally, the tech
said it was due to K9 software I had on the computer to keep my kids from
going to certain websites. So, he fixed it "supposedly" and I removed the
software. At that time the error was 0x0000008E.

I have an HP A1102N desktop computer with Windows XP Home Edition. It has
the .2600 Service Pack 2 version and AVG FREE anti-virus software.

When it happened again, I took it back to him because it was still under
their warranty due to the repair. At this time, he said it was just a couple
of errors and he corrected it. I don't recall what he referenced. I was
concerned, because I know this should not be continuously happening. However,
he said this happens sometimes with Windows.

Then, last Tuesday I took it in. The computer went to blue screen again
while I was watching a streaming online movie. The technician said there was
an error due to a temporary file associated with that and something else and
corrected it with a simple "Windows overlay."

When the blue screen appeared on Christmas Eve, it referenced the rdbss.sys
file. I believe he said to follow the prompts once I insert the disk and type
into the DOS screen that will appear, but at this point I don't want to do
anything wrong.

I checked the event viewer and both Application andf System have thousands
of events, not all errors. Here's what shows from the past week:
Application -
12/23 9:05PM - Hanging application WINWORD.EXE, version 11.0.8313.0, hang
module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hung address 0x00000000.

12/23 8:47PM - Hanging application WINWORD.EXE...

12/20 11:09PM - Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 8.0.6001.18702,
hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hung address 0x00000000.

12/20 8:51PM - Hanging application WINWORD.EXE...

12/20 8:50PM - Hanging application EXCEL.EXE, version 11.0.8316.0 hang
module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hung address 0x00000000.

System -
12/27 10:54AM - Akamai NetSession Interface service terminated unexpectedly.
It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in
1000 milliseconds. Restart the service.

12/27 10:54AM - The hpdj service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified. Source - Service Control Manager

12/25 12:18AM The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged
pool because the pool was empty.

12/24 9:03AM - hpdj...

12/23 3:34PM - hpdj...

12/23 2:50PM - THe volume ID for C: has been reset since it was a duplicate
of that on F: This volume ID is used by Distributed Link Tracking to
automatically repair file links, such as Shell Shortcuts and OLE links, when
for some reason those links become broken.

12/23 12:35PM - hpdj...

12/23 12:33PM - hpdj...

12/23 12:12 to 12:14AM - Warning. An error was detected on device
\Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

Also, Errors. The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the
timeoout period. Source - atapi

These two happened multiple times one after another.

12/22 8:13AM - hpdj...

Let me know what this could mean.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
<QP>
0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn't
catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which
sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).
</QP>
Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Also see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms794023.aspx

Are you still getting a STOP 0x0000008E error when the computer BSODs?

Why hasn't SP3 been installed by now?

Are you running AVG Free v9.0 or...?

The above notwithstanding...

> Can someone give me step-by-step directions on what to do when I insert
> the disk?

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial will be reinstalled (but invalid) when
Windows is reinstalled. One MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run
the appropriate removal tool before installing any Windows Service Packs or
IE upgrades and before installing a new anti-virus application (e.g.,
Avast), which will require WinXP SP2 or SP3 to install anyway.

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)