From: Bill Bowden on
I have a DIY solar panel that delivers 9.65 volts (24 cells) at about
1 amp and need a boost converter (12-14) to charge a SLA battery. I
want to use a air core inductor (30-60uH) to avoid special ferrite
cores. I think a small spool of copper wire on a plastic core will be
about 50uH.

According to this boost converter calculator, with 9.65 volts in, 13
out, diode drop of 0.7, transistor drop of 0.1 (IRFZ44 mosfet), freq
of 25KHz, output current of 700mA, and inductor ripple current of
300%, the inductor is 54uH. But it also indicates the peak inductor
current is 1.75 amps with a duty cycle of 30%. I'm not sure what the
inductor Ipp (2.1 amps) is?

Anyway, I don't see how the peak current can be only 1.75 amps with a
duty cycle of 30%. If the input current is a constant 1 amp, then it
must be around 3 amps during the 30% time the transistor is on. I can
add a input cap to supply 3 amps during the 30% on time (1 amp
average). And if the current ramps from 0 to a peak and averages 3
amps, the peak would seem to be around 6 amps?

What am I missing?

http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Switching-Converter-Calculator.phtml

-Bill
From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/15/2010 07:33 PM, Bill Bowden wrote:
> I have a DIY solar panel that delivers 9.65 volts (24 cells) at about
> 1 amp and need a boost converter (12-14) to charge a SLA battery. I
> want to use a air core inductor (30-60uH) to avoid special ferrite
> cores. I think a small spool of copper wire on a plastic core will be
> about 50uH.
>
> According to this boost converter calculator, with 9.65 volts in, 13
> out, diode drop of 0.7, transistor drop of 0.1 (IRFZ44 mosfet), freq
> of 25KHz, output current of 700mA, and inductor ripple current of
> 300%, the inductor is 54uH. But it also indicates the peak inductor
> current is 1.75 amps with a duty cycle of 30%. I'm not sure what the
> inductor Ipp (2.1 amps) is?
>
> Anyway, I don't see how the peak current can be only 1.75 amps with a
> duty cycle of 30%. If the input current is a constant 1 amp, then it
> must be around 3 amps during the 30% time the transistor is on. I can
> add a input cap to supply 3 amps during the 30% on time (1 amp
> average). And if the current ramps from 0 to a peak and averages 3
> amps, the peak would seem to be around 6 amps?
>
> What am I missing?
>
> http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Switching-Converter-Calculator.phtml

A good calculator?

The 30% duty cycle is the on time of the transistor -- the 13.8V side is
getting current about 70% of the time.

The 30% duty cycle sounds about right -- 9.6V is about 70% of 13.8V, so
for 13.8V side to match the 9.6V side it needs to be pulled to zero for
about 30% of the time. (that makes sense, really).

If the inductor current is just kissing zero on each cycle then it needs
to ramp up to twice average, or 2A (ignoring losses) peak. The more
inductance the more the inductor peak (and trough) will approach the
average 1A. So 1.75A is possible.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-07-16, Bill Bowden <wrongaddress(a)att.net> wrote:

> According to this boost converter calculator, with 9.65 volts in, 13
> out, diode drop of 0.7, transistor drop of 0.1 (IRFZ44 mosfet), freq
> of 25KHz, output current of 700mA, and inductor ripple current of
> 300%, the inductor is 54uH. But it also indicates the peak inductor
> current is 1.75 amps with a duty cycle of 30%. I'm not sure what the
> inductor Ipp (2.1 amps) is?
>
> Anyway, I don't see how the peak current can be only 1.75 amps with a
> duty cycle of 30%. If the input current is a constant 1 amp, then it
> must be around 3 amps during the 30% time the transistor is on.

it's an inductor not a resistor. current flows while the transistor is off.
that's the whole idea of a boost converter.

From: Jon Kirwan on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:09:35 -0700, Tim Wescott
<tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:

><snip>
>If the inductor current is just kissing zero on each cycle then it needs
>to ramp up to twice average, or 2A (ignoring losses) peak.
><snip>

Hi, Tim. That would ONLY seem correct to me in the extreme
case where f=t_on. (An impossible case.) Not in the case
where, let's say, t_on equals t_off so that D=50%, for
example, where it would seem to be pushed to 4X, not 2X.

In any case, very fundamental considerations would suggest
(and these completely ignore some other relationships that
are necessary, such as nearly fixed limitations on t_off due
to the allowable voltage across the L when transferring
energy to the cap):

I_peak = SQRT[ (2*P) / (f*L) ]

This is simple to observe, since it is nothing more than
figuring out the (1/2)*I^2*L energy at I_peak, times the
number of such pulses allowed in a second, which must match
the input power available, I'd think. (Power is energy per
unit time, after all.)

9.65W (the 9.65V time 1A) available on input (and all this
assumes such a switcher even makes sense at all for a solar
panel, which I'm not convinced of because it wants to supply
a constant current and not a wildly swinging one) divided by
the OP's 25kHz yields 386uJ as the energy storage required in
the inductor. From that, I get 3.93A for 50uH and 3.78A for
54uH. Neither of which are 2A and both of which are much
closer to the 4X factor, using D=50%.

Even then, it's probably higher still because there are other
considerations I can imagine. For one example, D will be
more like 30%, as the OP mentioned, and the t_off time will
likely be longer than the t_on, at steady state when the V
across the inductor during t_off will be 4V or so as opposed
to the t_on V of about 9.5V.

But very basic energy-in/energy-out considerations without
any duty cycle or other limitation considerations will
suggest that at 25kHz and 50uH (assuming those are even
tenable with each other, which is yet another question not
answered) the current needs to be higher than 2A here just to
meet the energy transfer per unit time requirement.

Or maybe I'm missing something. I am a modest hobbyist and
have had zero electronics training, after all.

Jon
From: Jon Kirwan on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:33:31 -0700 (PDT), Bill Bowden
<wrongaddress(a)att.net> wrote:

>I have a DIY solar panel that delivers 9.65 volts (24 cells) at about
>1 amp and need a boost converter (12-14) to charge a SLA battery. I
>want to use a air core inductor (30-60uH) to avoid special ferrite
>cores. I think a small spool of copper wire on a plastic core will be
>about 50uH.
>
>According to this boost converter calculator, with 9.65 volts in, 13
>out, diode drop of 0.7, transistor drop of 0.1 (IRFZ44 mosfet), freq
>of 25KHz, output current of 700mA, and inductor ripple current of
>300%, the inductor is 54uH. But it also indicates the peak inductor
>current is 1.75 amps with a duty cycle of 30%. I'm not sure what the
>inductor Ipp (2.1 amps) is?
>
>Anyway, I don't see how the peak current can be only 1.75 amps with a
>duty cycle of 30%. If the input current is a constant 1 amp, then it
>must be around 3 amps during the 30% time the transistor is on. I can
>add a input cap to supply 3 amps during the 30% on time (1 amp
>average). And if the current ramps from 0 to a peak and averages 3
>amps, the peak would seem to be around 6 amps?
>
>What am I missing?
>
>http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Switching-Converter-Calculator.phtml

Are you even sure that is the right approach? Does this
solar panel work well driving an inductor along a sloped ramp
from I=0 to I=some_peak_value and then nothing at all while
the switcher goes into its t_off period? And how do things
vary with solar motion across the sky? Is the 9.65V(a)1A
simply a peak? Or? And what kind of load should it "see?"

Jon