From: Tobias Schliebitz on
Hello everybody,

having upgraded my computer's mainboard recently, I also needed to
replace my old IDE harddisk with a S-ATA disk, because I needed the one
remaining IDE slot on my new mainboard for the DVD-R and DVD-RW drives.
So now I've got a mixed configuration, which works perfectly under
Windows XP/7.

However, booting the new SW 13.1 from DVD as well as from HDD nearly
always fails when the systems is detecting the DVD drives. The boot
process is just freezing when it comes to this point. I'm using the
hugesmp kernel choice.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems? Are they related to the
new Slackware release, to the kernel or generally to my system
configuration?

Sorry I can't add any logs, but the nature of my problem effectively
prevents this. Any hints would be appreciated, nevertheless.

Yours,

Tobias Schliebitz
From: Grant on
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 07:47:36 +0200, Tobias Schliebitz <tobias.schliebitz(a)gmx.de> wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>having upgraded my computer's mainboard recently, I also needed to
>replace my old IDE harddisk with a S-ATA disk, because I needed the one
>remaining IDE slot on my new mainboard for the DVD-R and DVD-RW drives.
>So now I've got a mixed configuration, which works perfectly under
>Windows XP/7.
>
>However, booting the new SW 13.1 from DVD as well as from HDD nearly
>always fails when the systems is detecting the DVD drives. The boot
>process is just freezing when it comes to this point. I'm using the
>hugesmp kernel choice.

Does huge.s work? What do you mean by "nearly always"?

>Has anyone else encountered similar problems? Are they related to the
>new Slackware release, to the kernel or generally to my system
>configuration?

There's reports of something related, but no concrete solution or
reasons yet.

>Sorry I can't add any logs, but the nature of my problem effectively
>prevents this. Any hints would be appreciated, nevertheless.

Try huge.s?

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Grant:

> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 07:47:36 +0200, Tobias Schliebitz
> <tobias.schliebitz(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>Hello everybody,
>>
>>having upgraded my computer's mainboard recently, I also needed to
>>replace my old IDE harddisk with a S-ATA disk, because I needed the one
>>remaining IDE slot on my new mainboard for the DVD-R and DVD-RW drives.
>>So now I've got a mixed configuration, which works perfectly under
>>Windows XP/7.
>>
>>However, booting the new SW 13.1 from DVD as well as from HDD nearly
>>always fails when the systems is detecting the DVD drives. The boot
>>process is just freezing when it comes to this point. I'm using the
>>hugesmp kernel choice.
>
> Does huge.s work? What do you mean by "nearly always"?
>>
>>Has anyone else encountered similar problems? Are they related to the
>>new Slackware release, to the kernel or generally to my system
>>configuration?
>
> There's reports of something related, but no concrete solution or
> reasons yet.
>>
>>Sorry I can't add any logs, but the nature of my problem effectively
>>prevents this. Any hints would be appreciated, nevertheless.
>
> Try huge.s?
>
> Grant.

FWIW... I /had/ a combination of SATA and EIDE HDDs in my box, and had a
few booting\startup problems with Slack 12.2. This turned out to be BIOS
related on a cheap WinFast (Foxcon) MOBO though, and nothing to do with
Slackware.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: tapp on
Tobias Schliebitz <tobias.schliebitz(a)gmx.de> [Mon, 07 Jun 2010 07:47:36
+0200]

> However, booting the new SW 13.1 from DVD as well as from HDD nearly
> always fails when the systems is detecting the DVD drives. The boot
> process is just freezing when it comes to this point. I'm using the
> hugesmp kernel choice.

I've had situations where XP ran but Linux refused, and it always came
down to Linux being more "picky" about the hardware. Ideas:

- check BIOS settings for IDE (LBA, Auto?)
- check Master/Slave config
- find out which drive causes hang (remove power from both, then connect
only 1st, then only 2nd, yes I know, it's a pain...) and let's hear your
results
- try the generic kernel (you'll probably need an initrd)
From: Tuxadox on
On Jun 7, 1:47 am, Tobias Schliebitz <tobias.schlieb...(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> having upgraded my computer's mainboard recently, I also needed to
> replace my old IDE harddisk with a S-ATA disk, because I needed the one
> remaining IDE slot on my new mainboard for the DVD-R and DVD-RW drives.
> So now I've got a mixed configuration, which works perfectly under
> Windows XP/7.
>
> However, booting the new SW 13.1 from DVD as well as from HDD nearly
> always fails when the systems is detecting the DVD drives. The boot
> process is just freezing when it comes to this point. I'm using the
> hugesmp kernel choice.
>
> Has anyone else encountered similar problems? Are they related to the
> new Slackware release, to the kernel or generally to my system
> configuration?
>
> Sorry I can't add any logs, but the nature of my problem effectively
> prevents this. Any hints would be appreciated, nevertheless.
>
> Yours,
>
> Tobias Schliebitz

Just to ask, when you installed Slackware on your new SATA disk, did
you specify your partition as SDA_ vice HDA_, which is for IDE drives?
Using HDA with an SDA drive will turn off DMA and will sometimes cause
issues with DVD/CD drives.