From: Ol�rin on
Indeed, but some may like to challenge Patti's seeming assumption that, if
she can't boot her PC from a Bootable Rescue Media on a USB key, she's been
wasting her time and will ditch Acronis and "copy my data and... reinstall
all the programs, settings, etc"

Patti, the chap in the computer shop may well be right *in your case*, that
*your* machine can't boot from a USB device (though as a generalisation he's
wrong - and, has he actually *seen* your machine, or was it just talk?). In
which case, can you not create your rescue media on CD instead of a USB key,
boot to that, then restore image files from the external hard drive, as
others have suggested?

"DL" <notvalid(a)spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> And use the Acronis clone file to do so
>
> "Unknown" <unknown(a)unknown.kom> wrote in message
>> The subject is whether or not you can boot from USB.
>> "DL" <notvalid(a)spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> The Acronis bootable rescue media is designed to boot from, obviously,
>>> then use its tools to recover the image you have stored on your external
>>> drive.
>>> You can also boot from the Acronis cd, then recover

<snip>

From: DL on
Before we all get involved in 'boot from usb' maybe think of the context in
which she was asking, ie using Acronis

From: Patti Barden on
Thanks to all who responded.

"peter" <peter(a)nowhere.net> wrote in message
> you did not give us any info on your mobo so we could check if it was
> capable of booting
> from USB...not all are capable of this but if it is it would be listed in
> your BIOS settings
> under boot devices...
I looked on the Bios today (a mystery to me) The Setup utility page comes up
Boot Order: RAID, 1st boot device: CD Rom, 2nd boot device: HDD-1, 3rd:
boot device: disabled, Floppy Disabled. Should I change this??

I will make an Acronis Rescue Media on a CD.

If my PC does not start (like in Oct. and my PC disk failed) will my PC boot
up
from the Acronis Rescue Disk? Is that how you tested it.
Thanks for your patience.
Patti

From: peter on
Yes I made the Acronis Rescue Disk on CD
I inserted the Rescue disk and rebooted
A message came up to push any key to boot off CD
I did and it booted off the CD
The Acronis interface came up and I found both Images I had created.
One on a USB connected External drive and the other on one of the 4 HD I have
installed
which has the Acronis Secure Zone on it.
I used the Image on the external drive and restored it.
The Same Rescue disk also boots on my Laptop and the same External HD is
accesible
from my Laptop.

peter

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <#GtlmzjtKHA.4428(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Patti Barden
<patti(a)freeola.com> writes:
>Thanks to all who responded.
>
>"peter" <peter(a)nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> you did not give us any info on your mobo so we could check if it was
>> capable of booting
>> from USB...not all are capable of this but if it is it would be listed in
>> your BIOS settings
>> under boot devices...
>I looked on the Bios today (a mystery to me) The Setup utility page comes up
>Boot Order: RAID, 1st boot device: CD Rom, 2nd boot device: HDD-1, 3rd:
>boot device: disabled, Floppy Disabled. Should I change this??

For each of the first, second, and third options, there should be a way
of selecting from a table. The options available for each one will
include those you have listed. If they also include USB, then your
motherboard has the ability to boot from USB; if not, it doesn't.

(I'm a bit surprised RAID is there as the first one. Do you have more
than one disc drive [inside the PC I mean]? If not, I don't _think_ you
can use RAID; if I'm right, amending the above will make your boot
process faster, though only by a very tiny amount. [RAID = redundant
array of inexpensive disks; a way of using two or more physical hard
drives to either make things go faster {by striping all bytes across
multiple discs - high nibble on one, low on other, or something like
that}, more reliable {by mirroring the contents across the discs}, or a
combination. I don't _think_ you can use RAID techniques if you have
less than two physical drives.])

If boot from USB _is_ possible from your motherboard, then you also need
to be using a USB device that can be booted from. I know some memory
sticks are marketed as bootable, which suggests that some aren't - I
don't know; I certainly don't know for things like USB hard drives. But
even if it is, it will only be of any use if the motherboard is
USB-bootable.

>I will make an Acronis Rescue Media on a CD.
>
>If my PC does not start (like in Oct. and my PC disk failed) will my PC boot
>up
>from the Acronis Rescue Disk? Is that how you tested it.
>Thanks for your patience.
>Patti
[]
Most of these system backup utilities offer to make such a disk. It's
often (though they may well not say so) a version of Linux that can be
run (and booted) from the CD; I don't know if this is the case for
Acronis. Once it has booted, it is highly likely that it (the computer,
running the operating system it has booted from that disc) will be able
to read external drives, such as USB sticks and USB hard drives, and
thus restore your images from them to the hard disc. One minor point to
note - external drives (stick or HD) will appear as a certain drive
letter under Windows, when you are running Acronis to do the backup;
when running the operating system that boots from the CD, they may
appear as different letters. So for example, under Windows, you may use
Acronis to make a backup of C to external drive H; when doing the
restore, you may have to restore the image from E (though it's still the
same external drive plugged into the same USB port), probably still to C
though not necessarily so.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it's
the part that I do understand." - Mark Twain