From: Meat Plow on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:14:05 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

> Meat Plow <mhywatt(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:22:10 +0100, N_Cook wrote:
>>
>> > Two of these known to the owner of this one have shown the same
>> > symptoms, but never connected together in any way. The other one
>> > apparently corrected by a factory reset (coincidence?) At switch on
>> > the display continuously scrolls as though one of the up or down bank
>> > select pedals
>> > is active, ie looks like the action of someone continuously turning
>> > the rotary encoder switch.
>> > Have taken apart but not reassembled yet , unenclosed . Only 0.2mm
>> > differentiating first touch to click over of the very basic click
>> > switches under all the
>> > foot pedals. The "wah-wah" switch is different action. Is it a stock
>> > fault
>> > of deflecting steelwork/pivot wear/bending pcb/expanding soft
>> > inserts? causing engagement of these switches, then just washer
>> > packings to correct
>> > for a short time until the problem re-emerges) or something more
>> > electronic/software or internal rotary encoder problem
>>
>> I never had any problems with my GT6. Used it to gig with from 06 to
>> 08.
>>

>> --
>> Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
>

> I asked, at receipt, whether this one had been connected to a pc and it
> had not. I've just asked whether it had been connected to a sequencer
> and so maybe the other one had as well, transferring corrupted code.
> This 6B same as the e-service 6 pdf as far as display is concerned ,
> buffers between uC and display seem to be operating correctly but still
> scrolling with the switch and rotary board disconnected. No obvious ESR
> problems, little much else to do, check a few V if 6 and 6B agree there.

Well the 6B must have had a USB port if you are talking PC connections.
Mine had no USB. I don't recall if you could upload new patches using MIDI
as I never did.

From: Meat Plow on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:16:17 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

> With all ribbons disconnected other than display one I noticed that the
> display stabilised if "digital" fingering of the empty mainboard socket
> for the ribbon that goes to the sw board and pair of analogue mx chips.
> Reconnecting that ribbon the display still scrolled but tugging on the
> fixed end of the ribbon stopped it. Resoldered the ends and display and
> overall functioning seems normal, eg up/down bank buttons function,
> unlike before. Nothing obviously wrong with solder or the crimp?
> terminals to the wires that are also the solder points but something
> wrong there. Not PbF but resoldered all 4 such ribbon fixed ends JIC. As
> maybe generic Boss problem area they are no-name white "Harwin" 0.1 inch
> type connector system for discrete wire ribbons, same crimp? system at
> the fixed end (inserted into the housing then soldered to pcb) and
> socket end , so standard sockets at one end and solderable thru-housing
> and pcb pins at the other. So is it coincidence the other one was
> playing up the same way and was genuinly cured by factory reset or same
> wiring problem coincidently disappeared for the present on that one? Or
> of course some other intermittant problem with this one coincident to
> fiddling with one connector, the repairman's dilemma. Repairing (or not)
> by divination in effect.
>
> I've now had word back that both units have only been connected analogue
> to amps and guitars, no midi or digital connections. Not bought from
> same supplier either.

My 6 suffered road abuse. Was dinged and dented but never failed. Just an
FYI. Don't think those problems were endemic to the 6 unless their were
changes made to the 6B.

From: Gareth Magennis on

"N_Cook" <diverse(a)tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
> Two of these known to the owner of this one have shown the same symptoms,
> but never connected together in any way.
> The other one apparently corrected by a factory reset (coincidence?)
> At switch on the display continuously scrolls as though one of the up or
> down bank select pedals
> is active, ie looks like the action of someone continuously turning the
> rotary encoder switch.
> Have taken apart but not reassembled yet , unenclosed .
> Only 0.2mm differentiating first touch to click over of the very basic
> click
> switches under all the
> foot pedals. The "wah-wah" switch is different action. Is it a stock fault
> of deflecting steelwork/pivot wear/bending pcb/expanding soft inserts?
> causing engagement of these switches, then just washer packings to correct
> for a short time until the problem re-emerges) or something more
> electronic/software or internal rotary encoder problem

Phone Roland Service dept, and speak to a person. If it is a common fault
they will know about it.

01792 702 701

Gareth.

From: Gareth Magennis on

"Gareth Magennis" <sound.service(a)btconnect.com> wrote in message

> "N_Cook" <diverse(a)tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Two of these known to the owner of this one have shown the same symptoms,
>> but never connected together in any way.
>> The other one apparently corrected by a factory reset (coincidence?)
>> At switch on the display continuously scrolls as though one of the up or
>> down bank select pedals
>> is active, ie looks like the action of someone continuously turning the
>> rotary encoder switch.
>> Have taken apart but not reassembled yet , unenclosed .
>> Only 0.2mm differentiating first touch to click over of the very basic
>> click
>> switches under all the
>> foot pedals. The "wah-wah" switch is different action. Is it a stock
>> fault
>> of deflecting steelwork/pivot wear/bending pcb/expanding soft inserts?
>> causing engagement of these switches, then just washer packings to
>> correct
>> for a short time until the problem re-emerges) or something more
>> electronic/software or internal rotary encoder problem
>>

> Phone Roland Service dept, and speak to a person. If it is a common
> fault they will know about it.
>
> 01792 702 701
>

> Gareth.

After making sure, of course, it isn't a power supply issue..