From: N_Cook on
Two of these known to the owner of this one have shown the same symptoms,
but never connected together in any way.
The other one apparently corrected by a factory reset (coincidence?)
At switch on the display continuously scrolls as though one of the up or
down bank select pedals
is active, ie looks like the action of someone continuously turning the
rotary encoder switch.
Have taken apart but not reassembled yet , unenclosed .
Only 0.2mm differentiating first touch to click over of the very basic click
switches under all the
foot pedals. The "wah-wah" switch is different action. Is it a stock fault
of deflecting steelwork/pivot wear/bending pcb/expanding soft inserts?
causing engagement of these switches, then just washer packings to correct
for a short time until the problem re-emerges) or something more
electronic/software or internal rotary encoder problem

From: N_Cook on
Not a stuck sw problem. Unlikely rotary encoder sw problem as physically
rotating it changes the 7-segment display but the auto scrolling error
function does not. No susceptibility to touching components. Select a
funtion like tuner and the display stops scrolling and gives tuner display.
Disconnecting all ribbons except the display one , the scrolling display
still there so a main board problem seemingly. I suppose ESR caps check is
first port of call. User manual from Bossus site and schema etc on e-service

From: Meat Plow on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:22:10 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

> Two of these known to the owner of this one have shown the same
> symptoms, but never connected together in any way. The other one
> apparently corrected by a factory reset (coincidence?) At switch on the
> display continuously scrolls as though one of the up or down bank select
> pedals
> is active, ie looks like the action of someone continuously turning the
> rotary encoder switch.
> Have taken apart but not reassembled yet , unenclosed . Only 0.2mm
> differentiating first touch to click over of the very basic click
> switches under all the
> foot pedals. The "wah-wah" switch is different action. Is it a stock
> fault
> of deflecting steelwork/pivot wear/bending pcb/expanding soft inserts?
> causing engagement of these switches, then just washer packings to
> correct
> for a short time until the problem re-emerges) or something more
> electronic/software or internal rotary encoder problem

I never had any problems with my GT6. Used it to gig with from 06 to 08.

From: N_Cook on
Meat Plow <mhywatt(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:22:10 +0100, N_Cook wrote:
>
> > Two of these known to the owner of this one have shown the same
> > symptoms, but never connected together in any way. The other one
> > apparently corrected by a factory reset (coincidence?) At switch on the
> > display continuously scrolls as though one of the up or down bank select
> > pedals
> > is active, ie looks like the action of someone continuously turning the
> > rotary encoder switch.
> > Have taken apart but not reassembled yet , unenclosed . Only 0.2mm
> > differentiating first touch to click over of the very basic click
> > switches under all the
> > foot pedals. The "wah-wah" switch is different action. Is it a stock
> > fault
> > of deflecting steelwork/pivot wear/bending pcb/expanding soft inserts?
> > causing engagement of these switches, then just washer packings to
> > correct
> > for a short time until the problem re-emerges) or something more
> > electronic/software or internal rotary encoder problem
>
> I never had any problems with my GT6. Used it to gig with from 06 to 08.
>

> --
> Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse

I asked, at receipt, whether this one had been connected to a pc and it had
not. I've just asked whether it had been connected to a sequencer and so
maybe the other one had as well, transferring corrupted code. This 6B same
as the e-service 6 pdf as far as display is concerned , buffers between uC
and display seem to be operating correctly but still scrolling with the
switch and rotary board disconnected. No obvious ESR problems, little much
else to do, check a few V if 6 and 6B agree there.

From: N_Cook on
With all ribbons disconnected other than display one I noticed that the
display stabilised if "digital" fingering of the empty mainboard socket for
the ribbon that goes to the sw board and pair of analogue mx chips.
Reconnecting that ribbon the display still scrolled but tugging on the fixed
end of the ribbon stopped it. Resoldered the ends and display and overall
functioning seems normal, eg up/down bank buttons function, unlike before.
Nothing obviously wrong with solder or the crimp? terminals to the wires
that are also the solder points but something wrong there. Not PbF but
resoldered all 4 such ribbon fixed ends JIC. As maybe generic Boss problem
area they are no-name white "Harwin" 0.1 inch type connector system for
discrete wire ribbons, same crimp? system at the fixed end (inserted into
the housing then soldered to pcb) and socket end , so standard sockets at
one end and solderable thru-housing and pcb pins at the other.
So is it coincidence the other one was playing up the same way and was
genuinly cured by factory reset or same wiring problem coincidently
disappeared for the present on that one? Or of course some other
intermittant problem with this one coincident to fiddling with one
connector, the repairman's dilemma. Repairing (or not) by divination in
effect.

I've now had word back that both units have only been connected analogue to
amps and guitars, no midi or digital connections. Not bought from same
supplier either.