From: David Murray on

> Try Space Taxi, Kennedy Approach, any other game with digitized sounds,
> or listen to the Intro of Impossible Mission II and it will definately
> sound better on the old SID.

I admit I've never actually played any of those games. However, I
played Impossible Mission I and Ghostbusters all the time and they
were fine. I also remember a handful of other games, programs, and
demos that used digitized sounds and had no problems with any of those
either.
From: Rudolf Harras on
David Murray schrieb:
>> Try Space Taxi, Kennedy Approach, any other game with digitized sounds,
>> or listen to the Intro of Impossible Mission II and it will definately
>> sound better on the old SID.
>
> I admit I've never actually played any of those games. However, I
> played Impossible Mission I and Ghostbusters all the time and they
> were fine. I also remember a handful of other games, programs, and
> demos that used digitized sounds and had no problems with any of those
> either.

Well you still hear the digisound but it's far too quiet compared to the
rest of the sound. Just compare IM1 and Ghostbasters on both computers.

Newer Demos maybe were able to detect the correct sound chip but I don't
know of any game that asks you which SID to use.
From: Hg on
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:18:29 +0100, Rudolf Harras wrote:

> David Murray schrieb:
>>> Try Space Taxi, Kennedy Approach, any other game with digitized
>>> sounds, or listen to the Intro of Impossible Mission II and it will
>>> definately sound better on the old SID.
>>
>> I admit I've never actually played any of those games. However, I
>> played Impossible Mission I and Ghostbusters all the time and they were
>> fine. I also remember a handful of other games, programs, and demos
>> that used digitized sounds and had no problems with any of those
>> either.
>
> Well you still hear the digisound but it's far too quiet compared to the
> rest of the sound. Just compare IM1 and Ghostbasters on both computers.
>
> Newer Demos maybe were able to detect the correct sound chip but I don't
> know of any game that asks you which SID to use.

Not a case of detecting the sound chip, though Beach Head II had a courteous
option of allowing filter adjustment. Not sure how it worked in practice.
At the time, I wondered why more games didn't have a similar option to
minimise the variable filter levels.
From: Rudolf Harras on
Hg schrieb:

>Not a case of detecting the sound chip, though Beach Head II had a courteous
>option of allowing filter adjustment. Not sure how it worked in practice.

I just remember one case of a SID editor in the C128 where you could
select the SID.

Is there any way detecting it automatically at all?
From: bluebirdpod on
On Nov 9, 11:40 am, Jim Brain <br...(a)jbrain.com> wrote:

> Commodore did not move any of it's specialty ICs to CMOS in the 64C
> design.  I do believe the 85XX series used the newer HMOS-II process,
> but the underlying technology was still NMOS.
>
> The lower voltage (and the chip count reduction, as others have noted)
> probably made the difference.
>
> Jim

Well Commodore put almost everything into every style case, and
keyboard color, Just because it is the new style
case does not mean it is the 64C h-mos style, there are sightings of
old boards in new style cases, and what not,
when the serial numbers hit 130000X? then the new style small board
appeared, and there are two different layouts of
the small board, but Prior serials are the large board with 2 ram
chips, this is my personal preference as the most compatible board, as
it used the 6851R4AR chip, and R9 of the Vic2. It allowed sampled
sounds, as the 8581 does not.
and there are other compatibilities with the small board, They tried
there best but it is not as compatible.

-BBP