From: Pedro on
Hello everyone, the piece that the hook on the heatsink hooks to that
holds it against the chip broke off the motherboard. How can I fix
this? I attached a picture in case that made no sense. Thanks to
anyone that can advise.
From: John Doe on
Pedro <1 2.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone, the piece that the hook on the heatsink hooks
> to that holds it against the chip broke off the motherboard. How
> can I fix this? I attached a picture in case that made no sense.
> Thanks to anyone that can advise.

I would thoroughly clean the heatsink and CPU, lightly sand them
both with very fine sandpaper, clean them both again, then
superglue the heatsink onto the CPU using firm pressure to keep as
little space as possible between the heatsink and the CPU. If you
have a spare somewhere, use a bigger heatsink for it.

Some people say that superglue is an insulator, but do not provide
any authoritative references about that. I have used super glue
for heatsink purposes and it worked well, maybe partly because I
am very neat about it (not easy to be neat with superglue).

Just drilling a hole through motherboard is a bad idea since they
are multilayer circuit boards. Trying to remove something like
that and redo it can be very difficult unless you are skilled at
soldering. Depending on the situation, it can be impossible unless
you also have a suction tool.

Good luck and have fun.
From: Paul on
Pedro wrote:
> Hello everyone, the piece that the hook on the heatsink hooks to that
> holds it against the chip broke off the motherboard. How can I fix
> this? I attached a picture in case that made no sense. Thanks to
> anyone that can advise.

You need a replacement retention frame.

They're available, but not easy to find.

This one is for a S478 motherboard for example.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentium-Socket-Heatsink-Retention-Module/dp/B000YA7QTO

That one comes with nylon push pins include. If you damage the original
push pins while removing them, that bracket comes with its own. Not
all brackets include push pins - if that is the case, you have to be
careful when removing the original push pins. You also have to be
careful not to damage the motherboard.

Retention frames are also available for other sockets, like S939, AM2, etc.

You start, by identifying the socket type needed, and then
start Googling.

By the way, I can't see your picture. Post a picture of the
broken item, on a "Photobucket" type site. Then post a URL
link to it, so we can see it. Or alternately, just tell us
the make and model number of the motherboard, so we can
look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageShack

Paul

From: Nil on
On 23 May 2010, Pedro <1(a)2.com> wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

> Hello everyone, the piece that the hook on the heatsink hooks to
> that holds it against the chip broke off the motherboard. How can
> I fix this? I attached a picture in case that made no sense.
> Thanks to anyone that can advise.

Your description isn't very clear, but it reminds me of the
situation I found my sister's Dell computer in. The heatsink was
held onto the CPU by a long metal band that was anchored at each end
to an eyelet soldered to the motherboard. One of the eyelets had
come unsoldered, so the heatsink was flopping around loose, and the
CPU would overheat before completing bootup.

I ended up making a new eyelet out of the looped end of a safety
pin, soldering it back into the hole in the MB. It was only after I
did that that I found the missing real eyelet lodged in a corner of
the case, but my fix is probably stronger. It's worked fine ever
since.
From: John Doe on
Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

> By the way, I can't see your picture. Post a picture of the
> broken item, on a "Photobucket" type site. Then post a URL link
> to it, so we can see it.

We can see it. Admittedly, the picture in question could be in a
smaller format, but Google Groups has nuked posters who used to
complain about bandwidth problems here on UseNet. A small picture
is a drop in the bucket compared to the mass of junk Google Groups
spammers post to UseNet every day.

> Or alternately, just tell us the make and model number of the
> motherboard, so we can look it up.

A picture is worth 1000 words. Better would be to get a real
newsreader and news server so you can see small format pictures.
The days of no binaries on UseNet are gone.