From: Lou O on
I need to obtain the name of files on a remote FTP site. I would like
to navigate to the site using a common dialog control or better yet
having the files displayed in a list box on a form.
I've been partly successful using the common dialog control to
navigate to the FTP site in My Network Places. However there are too
many navigation options on the common dialog control. I want to
restrict the path to the FTP site. Also for some reason I can't set
the default directory of the common dialog control to the FTP site. If
these 2 issues could be overcome then this would be a good solution.

Displaying the files in a listbox on a form would be even better it
seems to me. I've seen examples of populating a list box with the
names of files residing on my computer but not files on a FTP site.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either method?
Thanks
From: Stuart McCall on
"Lou O" <lgeastwood(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to obtain the name of files on a remote FTP site. I would like
> to navigate to the site using a common dialog control or better yet
> having the files displayed in a list box on a form.
> I've been partly successful using the common dialog control to
> navigate to the FTP site in My Network Places. However there are too
> many navigation options on the common dialog control. I want to
> restrict the path to the FTP site. Also for some reason I can't set
> the default directory of the common dialog control to the FTP site. If
> these 2 issues could be overcome then this would be a good solution.
>
> Displaying the files in a listbox on a form would be even better it
> seems to me. I've seen examples of populating a list box with the
> names of files residing on my computer but not files on a FTP site.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on either method?
> Thanks

Just what you need:

http://www.smccall.demon.co.uk/Downloads.htm#FTPClient

From: Lou O on
On Jun 10, 5:54 pm, "Stuart McCall" <smcc...(a)myunrealbox.com> wrote:
> "Lou O" <lgeastw...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I need to obtain the name of  files on a remote FTP site. I would like
> > to navigate to the site using a common dialog control or better yet
> > having the files displayed in a list box on a form.
> > I've been partly successful using the common dialog control to
> > navigate to the FTP site in My Network Places. However there are too
> > many navigation options on the common dialog control. I want to
> > restrict the path to the FTP site. Also for some reason I can't set
> > the default directory of the common dialog control to the FTP site. If
> > these 2 issues could be overcome then this would be a good solution.
>
> > Displaying the files in a listbox on a form would be even better it
> > seems to me. I've seen examples of populating a list box with the
> > names of files residing on my computer but not files on a FTP site.
>
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on either method?
> > Thanks
>
> Just what you need:
>
> http://www.smccall.demon.co.uk/Downloads.htm#FTPClient

Somewhere on my road to discover the FTP world in Access I've looked
at FTP Client.
At that point in my discovery I obviously overlooked a lot of the
functionality of it.
Thanks for pointing me back to it Stuart!
To date I have all the uploading and downloading of FTP files working
as required.
Now with a second look at FTP Client, file management on an FTP site
is beginning to open up .
I hope as I dig into FTP Client I will discover a method to delete a
file from the FTP site after I download it; my last (I hope) challenge
with this FTP thing.
From: Lou O on
On Jun 11, 9:11 am, Lou O <lgeastw...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 5:54 pm, "Stuart McCall" <smcc...(a)myunrealbox.com> wrote:
>

> > "Lou O" <lgeastw...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > >I need to obtain the name of  files on a remote FTP site. I would like
> > > to navigate to the site using a common dialog control or better yet
> > > having the files displayed in a list box on a form.
> > > I've been partly successful using the common dialog control to
> > > navigate to the FTP site in My Network Places. However there are too
> > > many navigation options on the common dialog control. I want to
> > > restrict the path to the FTP site. Also for some reason I can't set
> > > the default directory of the common dialog control to the FTP site. If
> > > these 2 issues could be overcome then this would be a good solution.
>
> > > Displaying the files in a listbox on a form would be even better it
> > > seems to me. I've seen examples of populating a list box with the
> > > names of files residing on my computer but not files on a FTP site.
>
> > > Does anyone have any thoughts on either method?
> > > Thanks
>
> > Just what you need:
>
> >http://www.smccall.demon.co.uk/Downloads.htm#FTPClient
>
> Somewhere on my road to discover the FTP world in Access I've looked
> at FTP Client.
> At that point in my discovery I obviously overlooked a lot of the
> functionality of it.
> Thanks for pointing me back to it Stuart!
> To date I have all the uploading and downloading of FTP files working
> as required.
> Now with a second look at FTP Client, file management on an FTP site
> is beginning to open up .
> I hope as I dig into FTP Client I will discover a method to delete a
> file from the FTP site after I download it; my last (I hope) challenge
> with this FTP thing.

Thanks again Stuart, also for authoring FTP Client.
I have benefited greatly from you and many others on this site. Kudos
to all of you.
I've tried to give back from time to time despite my deplorable lack
of experience.
I figure if I try to tackle some of the more rudimentary questions it
allows seasoned MVP's as yourself to deal with the biggies ;-)
But enough shameless self-effacement (for now)

A look through FTP Client did not reveal to me a method to delete a
file on a remote FTP site.
Could that just be sloppiness on my part or is there actually not a
method to delete a file?
If not, could anyone point me to a solution for this?
From: Stuart McCall on

On Jun 11, 9:11 am, Lou O <lgeastw...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 5:54 pm, "Stuart McCall" <smcc...(a)myunrealbox.com> wrote:
>

> > "Lou O" <lgeastw...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > >I need to obtain the name of files on a remote FTP site. I would like
> > > to navigate to the site using a common dialog control or better yet
> > > having the files displayed in a list box on a form.
> > > I've been partly successful using the common dialog control to
> > > navigate to the FTP site in My Network Places. However there are too
> > > many navigation options on the common dialog control. I want to
> > > restrict the path to the FTP site. Also for some reason I can't set
> > > the default directory of the common dialog control to the FTP site. If
> > > these 2 issues could be overcome then this would be a good solution.
>
> > > Displaying the files in a listbox on a form would be even better it
> > > seems to me. I've seen examples of populating a list box with the
> > > names of files residing on my computer but not files on a FTP site.
>
> > > Does anyone have any thoughts on either method?
> > > Thanks
>
> > Just what you need:
>
> >http://www.smccall.demon.co.uk/Downloads.htm#FTPClient
>
> Somewhere on my road to discover the FTP world in Access I've looked
> at FTP Client.
> At that point in my discovery I obviously overlooked a lot of the
> functionality of it.
> Thanks for pointing me back to it Stuart!
> To date I have all the uploading and downloading of FTP files working
> as required.
> Now with a second look at FTP Client, file management on an FTP site
> is beginning to open up .
> I hope as I dig into FTP Client I will discover a method to delete a
> file from the FTP site after I download it; my last (I hope) challenge
> with this FTP thing.

> Thanks again Stuart, also for authoring FTP Client.
> I have benefited greatly from you and many others on this site. Kudos
> to all of you.

On behalf of everyone, thankyou.

> I've tried to give back from time to time despite my deplorable lack
> of experience.
> I figure if I try to tackle some of the more rudimentary questions it
> allows seasoned MVP's as yourself to deal with the biggies ;-)

That's an admirable attitude to take. I must point out however that I'm not
an MVP. I don't answer enough questions to deserve the title.

> But enough shameless self-effacement (for now)
>
> A look through FTP Client did not reveal to me a method to delete a
> file on a remote FTP site.
> Could that just be sloppiness on my part or is there actually not a
> method to delete a file?

It's sloppiness on your part (your words!). The method is called DelFile.
Try looking again, with your eyes open this time <grin>.