From: JoeC on
I am a self taught C++/Win 32 programmer and I would like to find some
forums to answer questions I have with programs that I write. Often I
have a challenge to decide if I have a C++ or a win32 question. For
example, I am writing a bitmap program and I have having trouble.
What are some good places I can go to learn how to get those questions
answered?
From: ScottMcP [MVP] on
On Mar 23, 2:57 pm, JoeC <enki...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am a self taught C++/Win 32 programmer and I would like to find some
> forums to answer questions I have with programs that I write.  Often I
> have a challenge to decide if I have a C++ or a win32 question.  For
> example, I am writing a bitmap program and I have having trouble.
> What are some good places I can go to learn how to get those questions
> answered?

If you are using Visual C++ the most useful forum is:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vcgeneral/threads/

From: Ulrich Eckhardt on
JoeC wrote:
> I am a self taught C++/Win 32 programmer and I would like to find some
> forums to answer questions I have with programs that I write. Often I
> have a challenge to decide if I have a C++ or a win32 question.

How about this newsgroup? While its main topic is win32, people don't flame
you for asking language-specific questions. That said, I would use
comp.lang.c++.moderated for plain C++ questions.

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH

From: Piranha on
On 23 Mrz., 19:57, JoeC <enki...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am a self taught C++/Win 32 programmer and I would like to find some
> forums to answer questions I have with programs that I write.  Often I
> have a challenge to decide if I have a C++ or a win32 question.  For
> example, I am writing a bitmap program and I have having trouble.
> What are some good places I can go to learn how to get those questions
> answered?

I´ve had the same problem some years ago and I went through intense
search throughout the web for anything remotely related to C++ that
included a forum.

From my experience I can tell you:

1) The worst thing you can do is cross-posting, meaning post the same
question in more then 1 forum. One post in the wrong forum has better
chances for an answer than 2 identical posts in 2 separate forums.
2) All websites around C++ live from their users, meaning the best
possible answer you can get is what the most experienced programmer
who is a user on that site knows and on most sites that´s pretty
limited.
3) The time it takes to get an answer is directly related to the
amount of users that forum has and on most sites that´s only a very
small number.
4) The fastest, most competent and friendliest answers you get HERE,
in THIS newsgroup, whether the topic of your question is 100% related
to C++ or not, people in here help you as much as they can, in worst
case they give you a link to another group where to ask your question.
From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

> I am a self taught C++/Win 32 programmer and I would like to find some
> forums to answer questions I have with programs that I write. Often I
> have a challenge to decide if I have a C++ or a win32 question. For
> example, I am writing a bitmap program and I have having trouble.
> What are some good places I can go to learn how to get those questions
> answered?

One or more of these newsgroups, for starters. Note the division
between User, GDI, and Kernel in the microsoft.public.win32.programmer.*
hierarchy. Pick the appropriate one.

Don't go to somewhere like the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup if your questions
start with "Which Windows API function do I use to ...?".