From: Michael on
I was just wondering before I got started on any projects, what are the
differences between C++ that is taught in some text books, like the For
Dummies books, and the C++ that Visual Studio uses?

Thanks
From: Scott McPhillips [MVP] on
"Michael" <Michael(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was just wondering before I got started on any projects, what are the
> differences between C++ that is taught in some text books, like the For
> Dummies books, and the C++ that Visual Studio uses?
>
> Thanks

The C++ that Visual Studio uses is very conformant to C++ standards. If you
create console based applications your text book examples should work.

Visual Studio adds numerous tools and libraries for programming GUIs.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

From: David Wilkinson on
Michael wrote:
> I was just wondering before I got started on any projects, what are the
> differences between C++ that is taught in some text books, like the For
> Dummies books, and the C++ that Visual Studio uses?

Just to addd to Scott's response. Visual C++ is actually three separate compilers

A C compiler
A standard C++ compiler
A C++/CLI compiler

The first two have excellent standards compliance, and you should have no
trouble using source code form Visual C++ on other platforms.

C++/CLI is for managed (.NET) code. Its main purpose is writing managed wrappers
for legacy standard C++ code. The wrapped code can be used from other .NET
languages like C# or VB.NET.

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP
From: Tim Roberts on
David Wilkinson <no-reply(a)effisols.com> wrote:

>Michael wrote:
>> I was just wondering before I got started on any projects, what are the
>> differences between C++ that is taught in some text books, like the For
>> Dummies books, and the C++ that Visual Studio uses?
>
>Just to addd to Scott's response. Visual C++ is actually three separate compilers
>
>A C compiler
>A standard C++ compiler
>A C++/CLI compiler
>
>The first two have excellent standards compliance, and you should have no
>trouble using source code form Visual C++ on other platforms.

....with the one major caveat that the "C compiler" is compliant with the
1989 C standard, not the 1999 C standard. In my mind, that is growing into
an embarrassment for Microsoft. Would the world have taken Microsoft
seriously if it had ignored the 1989 standard well into the 20th Century?
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Bo Persson on
Tim Roberts wrote:
> David Wilkinson <no-reply(a)effisols.com> wrote:
>
>> Michael wrote:
>>> I was just wondering before I got started on any projects, what
>>> are the differences between C++ that is taught in some text
>>> books, like the For Dummies books, and the C++ that Visual Studio
>>> uses?
>>
>> Just to addd to Scott's response. Visual C++ is actually three
>> separate compilers
>>
>> A C compiler
>> A standard C++ compiler
>> A C++/CLI compiler
>>
>> The first two have excellent standards compliance, and you should
>> have no trouble using source code form Visual C++ on other
>> platforms.
>
> ...with the one major caveat that the "C compiler" is compliant
> with the 1989 C standard, not the 1999 C standard. In my mind,
> that is growing into an embarrassment for Microsoft. Would the
> world have taken Microsoft seriously if it had ignored the 1989
> standard well into the 20th Century?

It seems like C99 support is seriously ignored in most places.

http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html

Bo Persson