From: CaptainJ on
Francis Glassborow wrote:
> me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>> I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out code for
>> parsing and counting syllables in simple English
>> sentences.
>>
>> Can someone throw the dog a bone on where to start?
>
> well start be defining a syllable. A major problem is that English
> pronunciation is very variable with the result that there are
> intermediate cases where a word is a syllable and a half :) In addition
> we have the problem that the surrounding letters can influence the
> decision in a sometimes arbitrary way
>
> I think your problem has nothing to do with computing but a great deal
> to do with the vagaries of human speech.

Are there not some good text to speech programs out there?
They would have much of that work already done.
A quick search on sourceforge finds quite a few.
That may be a good place to start.
CJ
From: arunix on
On Mar 22, 10:52 am, CaptainJ <jeffseacrestinter...(a)SpamJam.juno>
wrote:
> Francis Glassborow wrote:
> > m...(a)privacy.net wrote:
> >> I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out code for
> >> parsing and counting syllables in simple English
> >> sentences.
>
> >> Can someone throw the dog a bone on where to start?
>
> > well start be defining a syllable. A major problem is that English
> > pronunciation is very variable with the result that there are
> > intermediate cases where a word is a syllable and a half :) In addition
> > we have the problem that the surrounding letters can influence the
> > decision in a sometimes arbitrary way
>
> > I think your problem has nothing to do with computing but a great deal
> > to do with the vagaries of human speech.
>
> Are there not some good text to speech programs out there?
> They would have much of that work already done.
> A quick search on sourceforge finds quite a few.
> That may be a good place to start.
> CJ- Hide quoted text -

GIYBF
and it has many text speech-rcognition
you should try there for the best
i think this may work for you?
http://translate.google.com/#

BEST OF LUCK......
From: Francis Glassborow on
arunix wrote:
> On Mar 22, 10:52 am, CaptainJ <jeffseacrestinter...(a)SpamJam.juno>
> wrote:
>> Francis Glassborow wrote:
>>> well start be defining a syllable. A major problem is that English
>>> pronunciation is very variable with the result that there are
>>> intermediate cases where a word is a syllable and a half :) In addition
>>> we have the problem that the surrounding letters can influence the
>>> decision in a sometimes arbitrary way
>>> I think your problem has nothing to do with computing but a great deal
>>> to do with the vagaries of human speech.
>> Are there not some good text to speech programs out there?
>> They would have much of that work already done.
>> A quick search on sourceforge finds quite a few.
>> That may be a good place to start.
>> CJ- Hide quoted text -

> GIYBF
> and it has many text speech-rcognition
> you should try there for the best
> i think this may work for you?
> http://translate.google.com/#
>
> BEST OF LUCK......

Please try to ensure attributions are correct when quoting. I wrote the
part starting 'I think ...'

Now having just returned from a holiday in Turkey I note that even
'Side' has an ambiguous number of syllables. In geometry it has one, in
geography it may have two (the Turkish town by that name is pronounced
-- approximately -- sea-day)

"The vegetable stalls are on the north side of the market square in Side."