From: Paul Förster on
Hi all,

.... another question from the insane. :-)

The RF modulator in a C64 seems to have 8 contacts soldered to the
board. Does it have any influence on functionality or compatibilty if I
solder the contacts off and take the modulator out, other than not
having a TV signal, of course? Would anything NOT work if I did that?
--
cul8er

Paul
paul.foerster(a)gmx.net

From: Clocky on
Paul F�rster wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> ... another question from the insane. :-)
>
> The RF modulator in a C64 seems to have 8 contacts soldered to the
> board. Does it have any influence on functionality or compatibilty if
> I solder the contacts off and take the modulator out, other than not
> having a TV signal, of course? Would anything NOT work if I did that?

You would have no video at all. The RF modulator does more then just the RF
output, check the schematics.

From: Mr. X on
"Paul F�rster" <paul.foerster(a)gmx.net> wrote in message

> The RF modulator in a C64 seems to have 8 contacts soldered to the board.
> Does it have any influence on functionality or compatibilty if I solder
> the contacts off and take the modulator out, other than not having a TV
> signal, of course? Would anything NOT work if I did that?

This guy pulled his off the board but it still needs to be hooked up:
http://www.bigmech.com/misc/c64mods/svideo.html

This guy hacks up alot of stuff, including C64s:
http://benheck.com/04-05-2009/commodore-64-original-hardware-laptop

There's multiple versions of the C64, many schematics here:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/computers/c64/

From: Paul Förster on
Hi Ingo,

> -i 'Why doesn't anyone look at the schematics first?' k

.... you're right, sorry.
--
cul8er

Paul
paul.foerster(a)gmx.net

From: bluebirdpod on
Get a good de-soldering station if you plan on repairing many circuit
boards, Its awful handy to just put the de-soldering tool right
on the pin to remove the solder let it heat up and click the pump on
to remove the solder, and as many have posted, you may need to cut the
bad chip out and remove each pin one by one, Hell I had boards that I
just wanted the chips out of, so guess what works really well, but you
need to do it outside, get a propane torch and take your board out
side, and put the flame on the solder side, it will ruin the board, if
thats not problem, then heat up the board moving side to side in a
small area, and let the solder melt, then you can usually just flip
the board over and let the chips fall out, if the pins are bent to
hold them in you can use a small screw driver to pry them out of their
sockets, if you are too slow you may need to re-heat the board but it
sure does work fast. Dont make your board get on fire, thats too much
heat, it may blacken, but thats ok, dont get the pins red thats too
much heat also, just move the flame quickly so you dont overheat one
area. Hell I use to repair monitors this way, it was an easy fast way
to resolder the whole board, but you have to make sure not to overheat
any area of a board that you want to keep. If it starts getting black
then you over did it, but on a canabalized board that you dont care
about, then there is really no problem.

De-soldering stations are either standalone, or combined with a
soldering iron also, they have built in motor driven vacuum pumps with
a vacuum line going to the de-soldering iron there is a momentary
button on the side or if you have a gun type then there will be a
trigger. Very Very valuable if you are repairing highly treasured old
equipment like commodore boards. A decent desoldering station will
cost about $250-$350. Just look on ebay, and get one with a small tip,
you dont need to remove 50amp diodes do you ?

Most of the C64's that I have had to repair have a bad ram chip in
them, I like the C64 big board with 2 ram chips this has the old sid
so sampled sounds work, and is full size but only has 2 ram chips and
is easier to socket both and swap with other chips to test and repair,
the easiest way to tell if you have a bad chip is they usually get
very hot when powered on, you can usually find a bad kernal or rom
chip this way, 6526's usually dont get hot but either the IEC bus does
not work, or more commonly the joy ports are partly bad or completely
bad. A lot of older C64's the PLA's go bad, well you can burn a PLA
code into a eprom and use that, or scavange one from a doner board,
torch time!

-BBP