From: x01001x on
Hello,

I am curious was the "genlock" the main tool used during the 80s to
edit VHS video?
I can't seem to find any other hardware that allows VHS video to be
input for an 8-bit type computer.
I notice there were a lot of "video titler" software programs made for
the Commodore on 5.25" disk, but they never seem to have any hardware
with them to allow them to interface with a VCR or VHS tape?

Also, I notice that genlocks seemed to have been primarily made for
the Amiga, and not for the C64,C128, or Atari.
Any information from people who worked in video editing during the
early to mid-80s would be appreciated.

Thanks!
From: Pasi Ojala on
On 2009-09-23, x01001x <xemail(a)softhome.net> wrote:
> Also, I notice that genlocks seemed to have been primarily made for
> the Amiga, and not for the C64,C128, or Atari.

Genlocking Amiga picture is much easier than C64:
1) Amiga video chip can use external syncs, i.e. syncs from the video
source)
2) The "background" color access sets an external pin that can be
directly used to select video / Amiga.

--
/Oh, he did think with his heart when he should use his head.
And with his head when he should use his heart!/
From: Bill Buckels on

"Pasi Ojala" <albert(a)mustatilhi.cs.tut.fi> wrote:

>Genlocking Amiga picture is much easier than C64:

<snip>

On the IBM we used Targa Boards or Targa Board clones from Everex (EV680)
and I wrote a load of utilities for titling and so forth for the EV680...
combining digital and analog signals was a piece of cake using the video
overlay feature of this card.

See below... I still have the last utility I wrote... if you are interested
send me PM and I will forward the code... the video out on the card was
recorded on the VHS or sent to a transmitter for broadcasting...

// TEXTROLL 680 by Bill Buckels 1995

// Script Driven Utility used with the EV680
// In Video Passthrough Mode

// 1. to scroll text
// 2. to provide logical openings and closings for video sequences
// (i.e. "fade on" or "fade off")
// 2a. The Opening is accomplished by expanding a video passthrough
// circle from a Black Screen.
// 2b. The Closing is accomplished by erasing the video passthrough
// by a shrinking square.
// 3. to pause and wait between video sequences
// 4. to load 16 bit truecolor image fragments
// 5. to allow font color changes

<snip>

From: Rainer Buchty on
In article <2e80c7ab-3b52-4a3d-935e-ae202b2512ee(a)f18g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
x01001x <xemail(a)softhome.net> writes:

|> Also, I notice that genlocks seemed to have been primarily made for
|> the Amiga, and not for the C64,C128, or Atari.

Sure, cause the Amiga had external sync capability, as Pasi already
pointed out.

The only C64 genlock I remember was some DIY solution in the German
64'er magazine, which took major effort in adjusting the C64's clock
frequency to sync to external video signals.

Rainer

From: RobertB on
On Sep 24, 5:17 am, buc...(a)atbode100.lrr.in.tum.de (Rainer Buchty)
wrote:

> The only C64 genlock I remember was some DIY solution in the German
> 64'er magazine...

There was the ComGen which provided an external box
and plugged into the 8701 socket of the C64.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug