From: Rudolf Harras on
I wonder how I can connect the C64 to a Beamer (BenQ) which has S-VHS
and Composite in.

I tried with both the C64 and also the C64DTV as well as with a Cinch to
S-VHS converter but did not get any signal.

Any Ideas how to convert the signal or which cable to solder?
From: Dombo on
Rudolf Harras schreef:
> I wonder how I can connect the C64 to a Beamer (BenQ) which has S-VHS
> and Composite in.
>
> I tried with both the C64 and also the C64DTV as well as with a Cinch to
> S-VHS converter but did not get any signal.
>
> It said "Signal Found" but then didn't display anything. :/
>
> Any Ideas how to convert the signal or which cable to solder?

The Y/C signal of the C64 can be connected to the S-VHS input without
requiring any conversion. Normally this should work. However the video
signal of the C64 slightly deviates from the PAL (r NTSC standard, which
may upset the beamer. Unfortunately this cannot easily be fixed.
From: MagerValp on
On 27 Feb, 19:38, Dombo <do...(a)disposable.invalid> wrote:
> Rudolf Harras schreef:
> > I wonder how I can connect the C64 to a Beamer (BenQ) which has S-VHS
> > and Composite in.

Composite works right out of the box, just connect the C64's video
cable straight to the projector. For S-VHS you need an adapter from
2xRCA -> Mini-DIN.

> The Y/C signal of the C64 can be connected to the S-VHS input without
> requiring any conversion. Normally this should work. However the video
> signal of the C64 slightly deviates from the PAL (r NTSC standard, which
> may upset the beamer. Unfortunately this cannot easily be fixed.

The C64 outputs a non-interlaced image, but that has worked fine on
every projector that I've tried. A lot of them tries to deinterlace
the signal, leading to various artifacts (typically combing two fields
and dropping to 25 fps), but it still displays a pretty good picture.
The only real issue seems to be that the image is over-saturated on
some projectors, but that can be fixed with a 300 Ohm resistor in
series on the chroma.
From: Groepaz on
MagerValp wrote:

> The C64 outputs a non-interlaced image, but that has worked fine on
> every projector that I've tried. A lot of them tries to deinterlace
> the signal, leading to various artifacts (typically combing two fields
> and dropping to 25 fps), but it still displays a pretty good picture.
> The only real issue seems to be that the image is over-saturated on
> some projectors, but that can be fixed with a 300 Ohm resistor in
> series on the chroma.

not only chroma, but luma level is also a little bit too much (according to
the standard).

as for projectors (or other equipment) that allow you to select, what you
want as deinterlacing method is "field -> frame".

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

I can make it crash!

From: Anssi Saari on
Rudolf Harras <rudi007(a)temporaryforwarding.com> writes:

> I wonder how I can connect the C64 to a Beamer (BenQ) which has S-VHS
> and Composite in.
>
> I tried with both the C64 and also the C64DTV as well as with a Cinch to
> S-VHS converter but did not get any signal.

Yeah well. I got a Dell 2407WFP monitor mostly because it has
composite, S-video and component inputs. But sadly, it doesn't display
anything retro. Not C64, have tried both composite and S-video. No
composite from a DTV or A500 either. For more modern stuff, it also
refuses 720p from my Xbox 360 via the component inputs. All of these
produce just a black display. Seem to work otherwise, at least the
composite and s-video inputs.

In other words, a decent monitor, if you don't need the analog inputs.
Which are kind of its raison d'�tre...