From: Owner on
Can Cat5e RJ45 connector crimper be used for Cat 6 connector

because I heard cat 6 connector is different from cat 5e connector
From: Owner on
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:17:43 -0400, Owner wrote:

> Can Cat5e RJ45 connector crimper be used for Cat 6 connector
>
> because I heard cat 6 connector is different from cat 5e connector

Also Same question for cable tester.

can cat5e cable tester be used for cat 6 cable?
From: Greg Russell on
In news:pan.2010.04.07.17.17.42.826000(a)Owner-PC.com,
Owner <Owner(a)Owner-PC.com> typed:

> Can Cat5e RJ45 connector crimper be used for Cat 6 connector

Yes. RJ45 is RJ45.

> because I heard cat 6 connector is different from cat 5e connector

The only difference between cat6, cat 5e, cat5 and any other cable that uses
RJ45 is the twist pattern in the wires comprising the cable and possibly the
sequence of wires in the RJ45 left-to-right. The same crimp tool works for
all of them.

From: anders on
Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:22:04 -0400 wrote Owner:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:17:43 -0400, Owner wrote:
>
>> Can Cat5e RJ45 connector crimper be used for Cat 6 connector
>>
>> because I heard cat 6 connector is different from cat 5e connector
>
> Also Same question for cable tester.
>
> can cat5e cable tester be used for cat 6 cable?

From Wikipedia:
"Category 6 cable, commonly referred to as Cat-6, is a cable standard for
Gigabit Ethernet and other network protocols that are backward compatible
with the Category 5/5e and Category 3 cable standards. Compared with
Cat-5 and Cat-5e, Cat-6 features more stringent specifications for
crosstalk and system noise. The cable standard provides performance of up
to 250 MHz and is suitable for 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX (Fast Ethernet),
1000BASE-T / 1000BASE-TX (Gigabit Ethernet) and 10GBASE-T (10-Gigabit
Ethernet)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat6

/Anders
From: Tim Fardell on
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, Greg Russell wrote:

> In news:pan.2010.04.07.17.17.42.826000(a)Owner-PC.com,
> Owner <Owner(a)Owner-PC.com> typed:
>
> > Can Cat5e RJ45 connector crimper be used for Cat 6 connector
>
> Yes. RJ45 is RJ45.
>
> > because I heard cat 6 connector is different from cat 5e connector
>
> The only difference between cat6, cat 5e, cat5 and any other cable that uses
> RJ45 is the twist pattern in the wires comprising the cable and possibly the
> sequence of wires in the RJ45 left-to-right. The same crimp tool works for
> all of them.

Agreed the same crimp tool can be used, but the twist pattern and wire
ordering in the plug can't be the only differences, because it's possible
to buy special "Cat6" RJ45 plugs and wall sockets, which are more
expensive than their Cat5e counterparts. Isn't the overall outer diameter
of a Cat6 cable greater than that of Cat5e, hence the need for different
connectors?