From: Philipp Kraus on
Hi,

I'm creating a test system and will analyse the packages.
I have installed a bind9.6 that get's the information from
the root zones. I don't use at this time forwarders.

Can I send all packages from bind over a socks proxy?
Only the request that runs out of the box (to the root servers
and other servers) must run over the proxy?

Thanks

Phil

From: Pascal Hambourg on
Hello,

Philipp Kraus a �crit :

> Can I send all packages from bind over a socks proxy?

I cannot find any indication that BIND 9.6 is able to use a SOCKS proxy
in its reference manual.
From: Philipp Kraus on
On 2010-04-08 12:11:55 +0200, Pascal Hambourg
<boite-a-spam(a)plouf.fr.eu.org> said:

> I cannot find any indication that BIND 9.6 is able to use a SOCKS proxy
> in its reference manual.

Okay, that's my opinion, too. My next idea: I modify the init.d-script and run
tsocks with bind, because tsocks can run every programm over the socks
proxy. Is this a solution?

Thx

Phil

From: Pascal Hambourg on
Philipp Kraus a �crit :
> On 2010-04-08 12:11:55 +0200, Pascal Hambourg said:
>
>> I cannot find any indication that BIND 9.6 is able to use a SOCKS proxy
>> in its reference manual.
>
> Okay, that's my opinion, too. My next idea: I modify the init.d-script and run
> tsocks with bind, because tsocks can run every programm over the socks
> proxy. Is this a solution?

Does tsocks support UDP ? If no, is there some similar software that does ?
The DNS protocol can use TCP if needed but uses UDP most of the time.
Besides, some (broken ?) authoritative nameservers won't accept TCP
connections.
From: Philipp Kraus on
On 2010-04-08 14:18:38 +0200, Pascal Hambourg
<boite-a-spam(a)plouf.fr.eu.org> said:

> Philipp Kraus a �crit :
>> On 2010-04-08 12:11:55 +0200, Pascal Hambourg said:
>>
>>> I cannot find any indication that BIND 9.6 is able to use a SOCKS proxy
>>> in its reference manual.
>>
>> Okay, that's my opinion, too. My next idea: I modify the init.d-script and run
>> tsocks with bind, because tsocks can run every programm over the socks
>> proxy. Is this a solution?
>
> Does tsocks support UDP ? If no, is there some similar software that does ?

No, tsocks always supoorts tcp connection and I don't know any tool that can
handle udp connections.

> The DNS protocol can use TCP if needed but uses UDP most of the time.
> Besides, some (broken ?) authoritative nameservers won't accept TCP
> connections.

I wouldn't like to configure my bind with tcp connection. I would
create dns calls
over the TOR network like http://sandos.ath.cx/~badger/tordns.html but
I had set
tordns and ste the forwarder in bind. If the forwarders set bind don't
connect to
my root zone servers

Do you have any idea?

Thanks