From: jjg on
I have just seen two "howto" descriptions of wiring for Cat5E, and I noticed
that they were identical (great!), _except_ that some color/color-white
pairs were reversed, for instance green instead of green-white, and
green-white instead of green.

I _think_ that this is harmless, because the colour/colour-white are a
twisted pair, and should be exchangeable.

Am I right?
From: david on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 11:46:28 +0200, jjg rearranged some electrons to say:

> I have just seen two "howto" descriptions of wiring for Cat5E, and I
> noticed that they were identical (great!), _except_ that some
> color/color-white pairs were reversed, for instance green instead of
> green-white, and green-white instead of green.
>
> I _think_ that this is harmless, because the colour/colour-white are a
> twisted pair, and should be exchangeable.
>
> Am I right?

You are right, as long as the colors/pins match at both end of the cable.
From: Dan C on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 11:46:28 +0200, jjg wrote:

> I have just seen two "howto" descriptions of wiring for Cat5E, and I
> noticed that they were identical (great!), _except_ that some
> color/color-white pairs were reversed, for instance green instead of
> green-white, and green-white instead of green.
>
> I _think_ that this is harmless, because the colour/colour-white are a
> twisted pair, and should be exchangeable.
>
> Am I right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.