From: commodorecomputerclub on
On Jul 20, 12:41 pm, "Clocky" <notg...(a)happen.com> wrote:
> commodorecomputerc...(a)googlemail.com wrote:
> > It looks like I've got a 320351 board as I have two 2114 RAM chips
> > located at UF7 and UF8 which are - unfortunately - soldered in.
>
> > The Sinclair ZX81 has a pair of 2114 RAM chips on its' main PCB -
> > would these be the same as in the PET or compatible? I'd rather test
> > my soldering skillz on a ZX81 than a PET ;-)
>
> Don't ruin either, practice on a scrap board and get some spare 2114's.
>
> They're not that rare.

You're right, better preserve the ZX81. I think my spare 1551 disk
drive for my C+4 has some of these RAM chips on the board, so I'm
going to butcher that instead and save the ZX81.

Regards,

Shaun.
From: Clocky on
commodorecomputerclub(a)googlemail.com wrote:
> On Jul 20, 12:41 pm, "Clocky" <notg...(a)happen.com> wrote:
>> commodorecomputerc...(a)googlemail.com wrote:
>>> It looks like I've got a 320351 board as I have two 2114 RAM chips
>>> located at UF7 and UF8 which are - unfortunately - soldered in.
>>
>>> The Sinclair ZX81 has a pair of 2114 RAM chips on its' main PCB -
>>> would these be the same as in the PET or compatible? I'd rather test
>>> my soldering skillz on a ZX81 than a PET ;-)
>>
>> Don't ruin either, practice on a scrap board and get some spare
>> 2114's.
>>
>> They're not that rare.
>
> You're right, better preserve the ZX81. I think my spare 1551 disk
> drive for my C+4 has some of these RAM chips on the board, so I'm
> going to butcher that instead and save the ZX81.

Errr, I don't think you're getting it... they're under $2 each from
futurlec.com.au or
http://www.arcadechips.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_21&products_id=35 -
hardly worth butchering good equipment for.

From: commodorecomputerclub on
> Errr, I don't think you're getting it... they're under $2 each from
> futurlec.com.au orhttp://www.arcadechips.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_21&products_id=35-
> hardly worth butchering good equipment for.- Hide quoted text -

I understand perfectly well. The last ZX81 I purchased cost me £1, and
I have plenty of these binary bad boyz to mess about with. But if I
buy new RAM chips as you're suggesting, I'll need to practice
unsoldering and soldering them in place, so to do that I'd first
desolder the chips from a ZX81 board anyway. As I know the ZX81 is
working, I might as well desolder them and use those working chips -
hoping that I can keep a steady hand and not destroy my PET
motherboard, which are much less common.

And, as replacing the chips are cheap, if I need the ZX81 board in
future (presuming it's still working), then I can buy the RAM chips
for that. It makes perfect sense to me.

Regards,

Shaun.
From: Clocky on
commodorecomputerclub(a)googlemail.com wrote:
>> Errr, I don't think you're getting it... they're under $2 each from
>> futurlec.com.au
>> orhttp://www.arcadechips.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_21&products_id=35-
>> hardly worth butchering good equipment for.- Hide quoted text -
>
> I understand perfectly well. The last ZX81 I purchased cost me �1, and
> I have plenty of these binary bad boyz to mess about with. But if I
> buy new RAM chips as you're suggesting, I'll need to practice
> unsoldering and soldering them in place, so to do that I'd first
> desolder the chips from a ZX81 board anyway. As I know the ZX81 is
> working, I might as well desolder them and use those working chips -
> hoping that I can keep a steady hand and not destroy my PET
> motherboard, which are much less common.
>
> And, as replacing the chips are cheap, if I need the ZX81 board in
> future (presuming it's still working), then I can buy the RAM chips
> for that. It makes perfect sense to me.

Buy sockets ;-)

I wish ZX81's were that common here...