From: commodorecomputerclub on
Hi,

I've got a CBM PET 4032 (UK) model. I've swapped around some chips
with some other broken boards I have, and rather that the screen being
full of garbage, it's now starting with a screen full of zeros. Has
anyone had this problem, and is there a fix for it?

Regards,

Shaun.
From: Sam on
Hello Shaun,

With a screen full of garbage mostly one of the ROM's is bad.
A screen full of zero's is mostly caused by a broken video RAM chip.

Which version of motherboard do you have in your 4032 ??

Regards, SAM
From: commodorecomputerclub on
On Jul 19, 11:02 pm, Sam <siemappel...(a)quicknet.nl> wrote:
> Hello Shaun,
>
> With a screen full of garbage mostly one of the ROM's is bad.
> A screen full of zero's is mostly caused by a broken video RAM chip.
>
> Which version of motherboard do you have in your 4032 ??
>
> Regards, SAM

I'm not sure which version of the mother board I have, but it has what
looks like a load of socketed RAM chips at the bottom of the board
when you open the hood.

Where is the Video RAM usually placed? Is it usually socketed? I hope
so.

Regards,

Shaun.
From: commodorecomputerclub on
It looks like I've got a 320351 board as I have two 2114 RAM chips
located at UF7 and UF8 which are - unfortunately - soldered in.

The Sinclair ZX81 has a pair of 2114 RAM chips on its' main PCB -
would these be the same as in the PET or compatible? I'd rather test
my soldering skillz on a ZX81 than a PET ;-)

Regards,

Shaun.
From: Clocky on
commodorecomputerclub(a)googlemail.com wrote:
> It looks like I've got a 320351 board as I have two 2114 RAM chips
> located at UF7 and UF8 which are - unfortunately - soldered in.
>
> The Sinclair ZX81 has a pair of 2114 RAM chips on its' main PCB -
> would these be the same as in the PET or compatible? I'd rather test
> my soldering skillz on a ZX81 than a PET ;-)

Don't ruin either, practice on a scrap board and get some spare 2114's.

They're not that rare.