From: DA Morgan on
Jonathan Lewis wrote:
> "EdStevens" <quetico_man(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Bingo! My partner had assured me that he had checked the
>>initialization parms and they were all identical. When I looked at the
>>10053 trace where all the optimizer related parms were grouped together
>>I discovered that OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING, OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ,
>>and OPTIMIZER_MAX_PERMUTATIONS were different.
>>

> There's a nice little feature in 10g
> that helps with that, the parameter
> list is split into the parameters
> with altered values and parameters
> with default values.
>
> Such a small change, but such a
> big help.

Didn't the ISDEFAULT column exist in previous versions?
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org
From: Jonathan Lewis on

"DA Morgan" <damorgan(a)psoug.org> wrote in message
> Jonathan Lewis wrote:
>> "EdStevens" <quetico_man(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Bingo! My partner had assured me that he had checked the
>>>initialization parms and they were all identical. When I looked at the
>>>10053 trace where all the optimizer related parms were grouped together
>>>I discovered that OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING, OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ,
>>>and OPTIMIZER_MAX_PERMUTATIONS were different.
>>>
>> There's a nice little feature in 10g
>> that helps with that, the parameter
>> list is split into the parameters
>> with altered values and parameters
>> with default values.
>>
>> Such a small change, but such a
>> big help.
>
> Didn't the ISDEFAULT column exist in previous versions?

Indeed,

But we are talking about the 10053 trace file,
and the current values for your session's
parameters may not match the environment
under which the trace was generated.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

Cost Based Oracle - Volume 1: Fundamentals
On-shelf date: Nov 2005

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html
Public Appearances - schedule updated 4th Sept 2005

From: DA Morgan on
Jonathan Lewis wrote:
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan(a)psoug.org> wrote in message
>
>>Jonathan Lewis wrote:
>>
>>>"EdStevens" <quetico_man(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>There's a nice little feature in 10g
>>>that helps with that, the parameter
>>>list is split into the parameters
>>>with altered values and parameters
>>>with default values.
>>>
>>>Such a small change, but such a
>>>big help.
>>
>>Didn't the ISDEFAULT column exist in previous versions?
>

> Indeed,
>
> But we are talking about the 10053 trace file,
> and the current values for your session's
> parameters may not match the environment
> under which the trace was generated.

Thanks for the clarification.

One more, slightly related question, if I may.

Gathering system statistics I do not seem to be able to force
a demo database to gather statistics for MBRC, MREADTIM, and
SLAVETHR.

I understand the last might be a bit difficult on a notebook
used for classroom demo. But any help on any of this would
be appreciated.

Thanks.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org
From: Jonathan Lewis on

> One more, slightly related question, if I may.
>
> Gathering system statistics I do not seem to be able to force
> a demo database to gather statistics for MBRC, MREADTIM, and
> SLAVETHR.
>
> I understand the last might be a bit difficult on a notebook
> used for classroom demo. But any help on any of this would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan(a)x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Perhaps your sample data sets and
are too small, and your db_cache_size
too big to generate any physical
multiblock reads. I just create a table
that I know is larger than the cache,
then do a few count(*) on it.

(Or if the cache is small, I do a few
scans of source$ and a few forced
indexed accesses of source$)

The SLAVETHR is a bit of a puzzle,
since you haven't mentioned MAXTHR
as not being set - and these both apply
to parallel queries: MAXTHR is the
observation of throughput the coordinator
can take, SLAVETHR is the throughput
the slaves can supply - I wouldn't have
thought you could get one set without
the other. (Guess - maybe the gather
goes wrong if you have had only one
ongoing parallel query that didn't terminate
when you are trying to gather system stats).

From: DA Morgan on
Jonathan Lewis wrote:
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan(a)psoug.org> wrote in message
>
>>One more, slightly related question, if I may.
>>
>>Gathering system statistics I do not seem to be able to force
>>a demo database to gather statistics for MBRC, MREADTIM, and
>>SLAVETHR.
>>
>>I understand the last might be a bit difficult on a notebook
>>used for classroom demo. But any help on any of this would
>>be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>http://www.psoug.org
>>damorgan(a)x.washington.edu
>>(replace x with u to respond)
>

> Perhaps your sample data sets and
> are too small, and your db_cache_size
> too big to generate any physical
> multiblock reads. I just create a table
> that I know is larger than the cache,
> then do a few count(*) on it.
>
> (Or if the cache is small, I do a few
> scans of source$ and a few forced
> indexed accesses of source$)
>
> The SLAVETHR is a bit of a puzzle,
> since you haven't mentioned MAXTHR
> as not being set - and these both apply
> to parallel queries: MAXTHR is the
> observation of throughput the coordinator
> can take, SLAVETHR is the throughput
> the slaves can supply - I wouldn't have
> thought you could get one set without
> the other. (Guess - maybe the gather
> goes wrong if you have had only one
> ongoing parallel query that didn't terminate
> when you are trying to gather system stats).

Thanks.

What I ended up doing was running some ROLLUP and CUBE queries
on the demo Sales History schema ... worked like a charm. But
here's what I get (10gR1).

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.4.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> SELECT pname, pval1
2 FROM aux_stats$
3 WHERE sname = 'SYSSTATS_MAIN';

PNAME PVAL1