From: Thaery on
What is your favourite CD/DVD recording tool?
Lightweightmeaning, no Gnome/KDE dependancies to install

--
Veni, Vidi, Ventum
From: Dan C on
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 01:34:32 +0000, Thaery wrote:

> What is your favourite CD/DVD recording tool? Lightweightmeaning, no
> Gnome/KDE dependancies to install

cdrecord

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.
From: J.O. Aho on
Dan C wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 01:34:32 +0000, Thaery wrote:
>
>> What is your favourite CD/DVD recording tool? Lightweightmeaning, no
>> Gnome/KDE dependancies to install
>
> cdrecord

growisofs is quite nice too.

--

//Aho
From: root on
J.O. Aho <user(a)example.net> wrote:
> Dan C wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 01:34:32 +0000, Thaery wrote:
>>
>>> What is your favourite CD/DVD recording tool? Lightweightmeaning, no
>>> Gnome/KDE dependancies to install
>>
>> cdrecord
>
> growisofs is quite nice too.

There have been several forks of cdrecord, so
it might be wise to distinguish between them.
My experience with cdrecord is with the version
included with Slackware.

I have found that growisofs and cdrecord differ
significantly for 16x DVD recording. For most
brands of blank, cdrecord burns slower and less
reliably than growisofs. For 8x blanks and slower
I never had any problems with cdrecord.

cdrecord recognizes a wider variety of CD blanks
than growisofs, so I never use cdrecord to
write CDs. growisofs can write +RW blanks which
(my) cdrecord cannot.

I don't think either can write to DVD-RAM.
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2009-12-13, Thaery <nospam(a)nospam.org> wrote:
> What is your favourite CD/DVD recording tool?
> Lightweightmeaning, no Gnome/KDE dependancies to install

cdrtools or cdrkit ( no UI at all )

xcdroast. (uses GTK but no gnome - there may be a GTK-free version out there)
cdrbq (uses TCL - have not tried it)