From: bbbl67 on
Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
back from this mode usually.

Yousuf Khan
From: DaveGK on
bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com wrote:
> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
> back from this mode usually.

Personally, I never liked using those, even before I switched to Linux.
And now I don't really see the point - it takes less time for my laptop*
to shut down and start again, than to go into hibernation (or is it
standby? - don't remember) and back. I actually disabled both standby
and hibernation, so only see two options now when I click quit: shut
down or restart - nice and neat :)

But to answer your question - no: most of the time, as far as I can
remember, there was some kind of problem waking up the system from
either hibernation or standby. Not a complete freeze, but there would be
something: dock missing or wireless speed dropped to 1Mbps, or mail
servers suddenly become unavailable etc, etc. Just not worth the bother
IMHO.

* I haven't used desktop since 2002, so can't comment on that...

--
Cheers,
Dave

replace ".bug.invalid" with ".com" to email me
From: ceed on
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:06:08 -0600, <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
> back from this mode usually.
>
> Yousuf Khan

I have no problems with either on my Asus laptop. Waking up from
hibernation takes just as long as a reboot, so I do not use that much.
Standby I use all the time when I transport my laptop around. I sometimes
see some error message flash by when waking up from stand-by, but
everything works. This improvement came with 9.04 for me. Before that I
did have issues with both standby and hibernation.

--
//ceed
From: J.O. Aho on
bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com wrote:
> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
> back from this mode usually.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Works fine on my Dell D830 at work, which is the only one I use hibernation.
Check if there is a newer BIOS for you machine, or you can rebuild the ACPI
part for your kernel instead of using the ACPI in the kernel, this requiers
some skills, but is a way to fix faults that the manufacturer don't.

--

//Aho
From: Craig on
On 12/23/2009 07:06 AM, bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com wrote:
> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
> back from this mode usually.
>
> Yousuf Khan

What's your hardware platform and version of OS?

--
-Craig