From: Yousuf Khan on
DaveGK wrote:
> But to answer your question - no: most of the time, as far as I can
> remember, there was some kind of problem waking up the system from
> either hibernation or standby. Not a complete freeze, but there would be
> something: dock missing or wireless speed dropped to 1Mbps, or mail
> servers suddenly become unavailable etc, etc. Just not worth the bother
> IMHO.

Well, at least you get something working when it comes back. In my case,
I usually don't even see a screen come on, let alone minor network
problems.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
ceed wrote:
> I have no problems with either on my Asus laptop. Waking up from
> hibernation takes just as long as a reboot, so I do not use that much.
> Standby I use all the time when I transport my laptop around. I
> sometimes see some error message flash by when waking up from stand-by,
> but everything works. This improvement came with 9.04 for me. Before
> that I did have issues with both standby and hibernation.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 now, and I'm still waiting for that stability.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
J.O. Aho wrote:
> Works fine on my Dell D830 at work, which is the only one I use hibernation.
> Check if there is a newer BIOS for you machine, or you can rebuild the ACPI
> part for your kernel instead of using the ACPI in the kernel, this requiers
> some skills, but is a way to fix faults that the manufacturer don't.

Well, I doubt there's any newer bios for my laptop which is a
2006-vintage Gateway. I tend to use the standard kernels that come
packaged with the distro or its updates.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Craig wrote:
> On 12/23/2009 07:06 AM, bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com wrote:
>> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
>> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
>> back from this mode usually.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> What's your hardware platform and version of OS?

There's a couple of hardware platforms I'm using, a desktop and a
laptop. It's in the laptop I'm mainly interested in this functionality,
of course. My laptop is a Gateway M6440 laptop, from around 2006. I'm
currently using Ubuntu 9.10, which has already seen two kernel updates
since its release.

Yousuf Khan
From: Conor on
In article <4b3231f3(a)news.bnb-lp.com>, bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com
says...

> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
> back from this mode usually.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Whilst not as good as Windows, it does appear to be far better than in
years gone by.

Just a headsup that apparently a bug in the automatic partitioning in
9.10 setup doesn't set a big enough swapfile to enable hibernation to
work properly.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.