From: J.O. Aho on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Craig wrote:
>> On 12/23/2009 07:06 AM, bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
>>> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
>>> back from this mode usually.
>>>
>>> Yousuf Khan
>>
>> What's your hardware platform and version of OS?
>
> There's a couple of hardware platforms I'm using, a desktop and a
> laptop. It's in the laptop I'm mainly interested in this functionality,
> of course. My laptop is a Gateway M6440 laptop, from around 2006. I'm
> currently using Ubuntu 9.10, which has already seen two kernel updates
> since its release.

The most common problem is bugs in the BIOS ACPI, most common solution is to
update the BIOS, I think there was 2 BIOS updates in 2007 for your laptop, go to:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp?Tab=My

Enter your laptops serial number and it will list you all the BIOS updates, I
recommend you take the latest. If you still have problems with the
hibernation, then I suggest you try TuxOnIce kernel which may have patches to
work around your laptops buggy BIOS.
TuxOnIce is a special kernel for laptops and different "sleep modes".

--

//Aho
From: Yousuf Khan on
J.O. Aho wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> Well, I doubt there's any newer bios for my laptop which is a
>> 2006-vintage Gateway.
>
> Most likely it will have, at least one or two from 2007/2008, hunt those and
> update the BIOS and you will most likely have a better experience.

It's looking like the problem lies with the keyboard and mouse not
restarting properly, not the ACPI.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
J.O. Aho wrote:
> Enter your laptops serial number and it will list you all the BIOS updates, I
> recommend you take the latest. If you still have problems with the
> hibernation, then I suggest you try TuxOnIce kernel which may have patches to
> work around your laptops buggy BIOS.
> TuxOnIce is a special kernel for laptops and different "sleep modes".

Well, why don't I go straight to TuxOnIce instead of trying to patch the
BIOS?

Anyway, why is TuxOnIce different than the built-in suspend support?

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
mike wrote:
> bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com wrote:
>> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
>> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
>> back from this mode usually.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
> I have a wireless (usb) keyboard mouse.
> Stops working in hibernation/sleep.
> I have no way to tell it to come out of standby/hibernation.

Looks like it's a similar issue with me. My Synaptic touchpad doesn't
come back after either hibernate or standby. I think I've tried a USB
mouse too at one time, and it had the same problem.

Yousuf Khan
From: J.O. Aho on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> J.O. Aho wrote:
>> Enter your laptops serial number and it will list you all the BIOS
>> updates, I
>> recommend you take the latest. If you still have problems with the
>> hibernation, then I suggest you try TuxOnIce kernel which may have
>> patches to
>> work around your laptops buggy BIOS.
>> TuxOnIce is a special kernel for laptops and different "sleep modes".
>>

> Well, why don't I go straight to TuxOnIce instead of trying to patch the
> BIOS?

For a new BIOS most likely have vital fixes and sometimes even support for new
features.

> Anyway, why is TuxOnIce different than the built-in suspend support?

Don't know the reason, but most likely things are considered experimental by
Linus and his men, until it's matured enough and fulfills the criteria setup
by Linus, it will not be part of the main kernel.

>> Most likely it will have, at least one or two from 2007/2008, hunt those
>> and update the BIOS and you will most likely have a better experience.
> It's looking like the problem lies with the keyboard and mouse not
> restarting properly, not the ACPI.

Even if it don't seem to be ACPI, it's still it which is responsible to "wake"
things up and if it don't talk properly, things will not work as expected.

--

//Aho