From: Yousuf Khan on
On Dec 25, 3:44 pm, Robert Tomsick
<robert-REMOVE_THIS_INCLUDING_DASH...(a)tomsick.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:09:59 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > Well, why don't I go straight to TuxOnIce instead of trying to
patch the
> > BIOS?
>
> Because patching the BIOS may allow suspend-to-RAM.

However, the Suspend-to-RAM works just fine on Windows XP.

> > Anyway, why is TuxOnIce different than the built-in suspend support?
>
> It's a better, faster, more feature-filled implementation of suspend-to-
> disk. It also will require a lot more configuration than the built-in
> suspend-to-disk support.

Suspend to Disk isn't really my main problem, I'm more concerned about
suspend to ram; although I have discovered that the same problem occurs
under suspend-disk as it does on suspend-ram. The problem seems to be
that the mouse/touchpad and keyboard aren't reawakened.

Now, that's nothing disparaging about Linux, as I've had similar sorts
of suspend to ram or disk problems in the past with other machines in
Windows too, but in this case, both the ram and disk suspension and
reawakening works perfectly under XP, so why shouldn't it under Linux?

> As an aside, although my laptop (ThinkPad X61s) has suspend-to-RAM and
> suspend-to-disk working perfectly, I never use the features. The latter
> is slower than just booting for me (I have a fast SSD), and I'm
> uncomfortable with the former since it leaves my encryption keys in RAM
> and my encrypted partitions unlocked...

That's fine, you have your reasons for not using them, and I have my
reasons for wanting to use them.

> Oh, and as far as support for these features on "the other side": it's
> just as hit-and-miss. I had an old Dell Latitude that would refuse to
> wake from hibernation 1/3 of the time. Tried re-installing the OS, the
> drivers, etc. No dice. Every third time it would turn on, go to a black
> screen, and just sit there, spinning its fan angrily. I also have a
> ThinkPad X200s running Windows Vista with a similar affliction: it won't
> suspend to RAM. It'll hibernate just fine, but suspend-to-RAM produces
> an instantaneous hard shutdown of the machine. Finding that out the hard
> way sure was fun...

As I said previously, I've also experienced similar problems under
various versions of Windows under various machines, in the past. The
difference is that I have an easier option to diagnose and fix it under
Linux, whereas in Windows it was hit and miss usually. Since I'm given
the option of diagnosing it under Linux, I might as well use it.

I really don't think a BIOS upgrade is going to fix the reawakening of
the mouse and keyboard problem here. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Yousuf Khan
From: J.O. Aho on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> On Dec 25, 3:44 pm, Robert Tomsick
> <robert-REMOVE_THIS_INCLUDING_DASH...(a)tomsick.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:09:59 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> > Well, why don't I go straight to TuxOnIce instead of trying to patch
> the
>> > BIOS?
>>
>> Because patching the BIOS may allow suspend-to-RAM.
>
> However, the Suspend-to-RAM works just fine on Windows XP.

Yes, but Microsoft usually have made a lot of hacks in their code to make it
work, while there isn't enough resources in the Linux community to make it
work properly on all broken BIOS', instead spend the time to make it to work
by specifications.

--

//Aho
From: bbbl67 on
Robert Tomsick wrote:
>> However, the Suspend-to-RAM works just fine on Windows XP.
>
> Indeed, I don't doubt that it does. If, however, your current issues
> stem from a braindead DSDT, there's a chance that you might be able to
> fix that by upgrading the BIOS.
>
> I've personally run into similar problems due to DSDT bugs. IIRC one of
> my ThinkPads (I can't recall which model) had a BIOS with DSDT bugs that
> were only exposed to Linux OSs -- that same DSDT was patched and the bugs
> removed in later versions of the BIOS.
>
> I'd say that (given how easy BIOS upgrades usually are) it's worth a shot.

I've actually had very mixed results with BIOS upgrades, and when the
mixed results were bad, they required the purchase of a new motherboard
and processor! So I'll avoid them if I can.

Anyways, I ran through the steps of SuspendKernel debugging guide that
Florian Diesch provided in this thread, and it looks like I'm the victim
of this bug:

Yousuf Khan
From: J.O. Aho on
bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com wrote:
> Robert Tomsick wrote:

>> I'd say that (given how easy BIOS upgrades usually are) it's worth a
>> shot.
>
> I've actually had very mixed results with BIOS upgrades, and when the
> mixed results were bad, they required the purchase of a new motherboard
> and processor! So I'll avoid them if I can.

BIOS updates don't affect the CPU, only the motherboard.
Don't forget that a motherboard may have a ROM with a backup BIOS, which can
be restored in case something would go wrong with a BIOS update, check the
motherboards manual to see if has a such and how to restore.

--

//Aho
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2009-12-30, bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Robert Tomsick wrote:
>>> However, the Suspend-to-RAM works just fine on Windows XP.
>>
>> Indeed, I don't doubt that it does. If, however, your current issues
>> stem from a braindead DSDT, there's a chance that you might be able to
>> fix that by upgrading the BIOS.
>>
>> I've personally run into similar problems due to DSDT bugs. IIRC one of
>> my ThinkPads (I can't recall which model) had a BIOS with DSDT bugs that
>> were only exposed to Linux OSs -- that same DSDT was patched and the bugs
>> removed in later versions of the BIOS.
>>
>> I'd say that (given how easy BIOS upgrades usually are) it's worth a shot.
>
> I've actually had very mixed results with BIOS upgrades, and when the
> mixed results were bad, they required the purchase of a new motherboard
> and processor! So I'll avoid them if I can.
>
> Anyways, I ran through the steps of SuspendKernel debugging guide that
> Florian Diesch provided in this thread, and it looks like I'm the victim
> of this bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/386641

so switching to kernel 2.6.29 works for you?

he also said using an older bios "F8" worked for him, have you tried that.