From: Craig on
On 12/23/2009 11:33 AM, Conor wrote:
> In article<4b3231f3(a)news.bnb-lp.com>, bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com
> says...
>>
>> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
>> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
>> back from this mode usually.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> Whilst not as good as Windows, it does appear to be far better than in
> years gone by.
>
> Just a headsup that apparently a bug in the automatic partitioning in
> 9.10 setup doesn't set a big enough swapfile to enable hibernation to
> work properly.

Thanks for the pointer. Fyi, a couple of references:

<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910#Hibernation%20may%20be%20unavailable%20with%20automatic%20partitioning>

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq#Why%20do%20I%20need%20swap?>

--
-Craig
From: Florian Diesch on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> ceed wrote:
>> I have no problems with either on my Asus laptop. Waking up from
>> hibernation takes just as long as a reboot, so I do not use that
>> much. Standby I use all the time when I transport my laptop
>> around. I sometimes see some error message flash by when waking up
>> from stand-by, but everything works. This improvement came with 9.04
>> for me. Before that I did have issues with both standby and
>> hibernation.
>>

> I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 now, and I'm still waiting for that stability.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelSuspendHibernateResume and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelSuspend for how to debug this
kind of problems

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/shell-scripts/>
From: Joe on
On 2009-12-23, bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
> back from this mode usually.

I have had no problems using Karmic AMD64. I use Hibernate daily, and
it always comes back fine.

Older versions have always had issues for me, but they seem to be
getting closer to the goal, on my laptop anyhow...

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
From: mike on
bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com wrote:
> Has anyone got a stable system back after they've gone into standby
> and/or hibernate modes? My systems just freeze when attempting to come
> back from this mode usually.
>
> Yousuf Khan
I have a wireless (usb) keyboard mouse.
Stops working in hibernation/sleep.
I have no way to tell it to come out of standby/hibernation.
From: J.O. Aho on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> J.O. Aho wrote:
>> Works fine on my Dell D830 at work, which is the only one I use
>> hibernation.
>> Check if there is a newer BIOS for you machine, or you can rebuild the
>> ACPI
>> part for your kernel instead of using the ACPI in the kernel, this
>> requiers
>> some skills, but is a way to fix faults that the manufacturer don't.
>
> Well, I doubt there's any newer bios for my laptop which is a
> 2006-vintage Gateway.

Most likely it will have, at least one or two from 2007/2008, hunt those and
update the BIOS and you will most likely have a better experience.

--

//Aho