From: David Ching on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> What I usually do is a GetFont of whatever dialog I'm in, then change the
> face name and
> create the new font. This means that my font follows the desired scaling
> of the user,
> which helps me keep the look-and-feel desired by the user.

This is nonsense. Some fonts require a significantly bigger font size to be
the same subjective height.

-- David

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Actually, it isn't all that nonsensical. Most fonts follow correctly. When I have some
anomaly, of course, I'm free to do something like multiply by 1.2, but that is kind of
obvious. But the real trick is, in such cases, let the user select the font and height.
This way it truly is under control of the user. I don't feel a need to explain *every*
subtlety.
joe

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 16:32:46 GMT, "David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
>> What I usually do is a GetFont of whatever dialog I'm in, then change the
>> face name and
>> create the new font. This means that my font follows the desired scaling
>> of the user,
>> which helps me keep the look-and-feel desired by the user.
>
>This is nonsense. Some fonts require a significantly bigger font size to be
>the same subjective height.
>
>-- David

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: David Ching on

> Actually, it isn't all that nonsensical. Most fonts follow correctly.
> When I have some
> anomaly, of course, I'm free to do something like multiply by 1.2, but
> that is kind of
> obvious. But the real trick is, in such cases, let the user select the
> font and height.
> This way it truly is under control of the user. I don't feel a need to
> explain *every*
> subtlety.

Then show the standard Select Font dialog and be done with it!

-- David

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Most apps I do have options to set fonts, but I have to make initial decisions by default.
For example, Courier looks more compatible with Arial if the Courier is about 1.2 times
the nominal height of Arial.

I should really write an essay showing my font-selection classes; maybe I'll get around to
writing it one of these days. It keeps the selections in the Registry so they are
remembered from session to session. It also incorporates the ability to set text and
background colors.
joe

From: Arpit on
Thanks a lot for all this info
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Most apps I do have options to set fonts, but I have to make initial decisions by default.
> For example, Courier looks more compatible with Arial if the Courier is about 1.2 times
> the nominal height of Arial.
>
> I should really write an essay showing my font-selection classes; maybe I'll get around to
> writing it one of these days. It keeps the selections in the Registry so they are
> remembered from session to session. It also incorporates the ability to set text and
> background colors.
> joe
>
> On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 04:24:14 GMT, "David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> >> Actually, it isn't all that nonsensical. Most fonts follow correctly.
> >> When I have some
> >> anomaly, of course, I'm free to do something like multiply by 1.2, but
> >> that is kind of
> >> obvious. But the real trick is, in such cases, let the user select the
> >> font and height.
> >> This way it truly is under control of the user. I don't feel a need to
> >> explain *every*
> >> subtlety.
> >
> >Then show the standard Select Font dialog and be done with it!
> >
> >-- David
> >
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com