From: vvf on
Hi All,

I would like to change the appereance of CEdit's buttons. Ideally, I would
like to replace them with my own buttons (derived from CBitmapButton). I
know all about the limitations of CEdit in terms of attempting to change the
way it draws itself so before I even try to do something like this I would
like to know if anyone here has any experience with that and if this
scenario is even supported by CEdit. Furthermore, I would also like to draw
its scrollbars.

If I can't take over the drawing of its buttons and scroll bars, is it at
least possible to change their colors ? I would like to know if there is a
reliable way to achieve this in Windows XP, Vista and 7.

Thanks.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5036 (20100417) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
CEdit is a control. It does not have buttons. What are you talking about?
joe
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:48:09 +0300, "vvf" <vvf(a)vvf.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I would like to change the appereance of CEdit's buttons. Ideally, I would
>like to replace them with my own buttons (derived from CBitmapButton). I
>know all about the limitations of CEdit in terms of attempting to change the
>way it draws itself so before I even try to do something like this I would
>like to know if anyone here has any experience with that and if this
>scenario is even supported by CEdit. Furthermore, I would also like to draw
>its scrollbars.
>
>If I can't take over the drawing of its buttons and scroll bars, is it at
>least possible to change their colors ? I would like to know if there is a
>reliable way to achieve this in Windows XP, Vista and 7.
>

>Thanks.
>

>__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5036 (20100417) __________

>http://www.eset.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: David Ching on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
>>Furthermore, I would also like to draw its scrollbars.
>>If I can't take over the drawing of its buttons and scroll bars, is it at
>>least possible to change their colors ?

> CEdit is a control. It does not have buttons. What are you talking
> about?

I believe custom drawing the scrollbar thumb, scroll area, and up/down (or
left/right) buttons.

-- David

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Ah, then I would have expected the question to ask about the scrollbars, not about
"buttons", which are a separate control.

And, I believe that the answer is "You cannot do anything about this" (the alternate
answer is "you will have to handle the OnNcPaint event and paint the non-client area for
yourself) but that is not something most expienced WIndows programmers would choose to
undertake, let alone a novice.

There is another answer: create a separate scrollbar control and use it. This is the
solution usually proposed in kiosk situations where a large touchable area is required.

But the question was ill-formed, and was asking a detail of how to implement something,
instead of asking how to solve a problem, e.g., "I have a touch-screen situation and I
need to make large touchable scrollbars, what is the best recommendation for how to do
this for an edit control?"
joe

From: vvf on

"David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
>>>Furthermore, I would also like to draw its scrollbars.
>>>If I can't take over the drawing of its buttons and scroll bars, is it at
>>>least possible to change their colors ?
>
>> CEdit is a control. It does not have buttons. What are you talking
>> about?
>
> I believe custom drawing the scrollbar thumb, scroll area, and up/down (or
> left/right) buttons.

That's correct. Thank you for clarifying my question.