From: Uncle Jean on
Hi all,

I'm on Slackware 13. Here's what the CHKrootkit scan indicates:

"WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for `/proc' (saw only st_nlink=112 but
we already saw 110 subdirectories): this may be a bug in your file system
driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option. Earlier results
may have failed to include directories that should have been searched."

Any suggestions ?

--
Uncle Jean
http://slacklinux.darkbb.com/index.htm
From: Grant on
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:20:24 GMT, Uncle Jean <aha(a)invalid.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm on Slackware 13. Here's what the CHKrootkit scan indicates:
>
>"WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for `/proc' (saw only st_nlink=112 but
>we already saw 110 subdirectories): this may be a bug in your file system
>driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option. Earlier results
>may have failed to include directories that should have been searched."
>
>Any suggestions ?

/proc is a pseudo filesystem built on demand, exclude it from
this sort of check. I don't think you can create new entries
in /proc.

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au
From: Uncle Jean on
"Grant" told the uncle and all the others:

> /proc is a pseudo filesystem built on demand, exclude it from this sort
> of check. I don't think you can create new entries in /proc.
>
> Grant.

I see and I thank you, Grant.

From: Res on
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009, Uncle Jean wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm on Slackware 13. Here's what the CHKrootkit scan indicates:
> "WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for `/proc' (saw only st_nlink=112 but

What version, 0.49?
What fs?
Are you running this as -q ?

I get emails on output from nightly runs on all of our members/host
servers and I don't see this, can't recall ever seeing it, however we
value our data so use EXT3, certainly not using 13.0's default of EXT4.

--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!
From: Res on
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Grant wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:20:24 GMT, Uncle Jean <aha(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm on Slackware 13. Here's what the CHKrootkit scan indicates:
>>
>> "WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for `/proc' (saw only st_nlink=112 but
>> we already saw 110 subdirectories): this may be a bug in your file system
>> driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option. Earlier results
>> may have failed to include directories that should have been searched."
>>
>> Any suggestions ?
>
> /proc is a pseudo filesystem built on demand, exclude it from
> this sort of check. I don't think you can create new entries
> in /proc.

He shouldn't need to, we don't
$check = `/opt/crk/chkrootkit -q`;

I'm curious if this is yet another ext4 anomaly