From: john on
Is Wine still the preferred way to run Windows programs in Slackware?
I had it up years ago but never got much past Solitaire. Is there a
better program today?

John Culleton
From: Lew Pitcher on
john(a)wexfordpress.com <john(a)wexfordpress.com> trolled:

> Is Wine still the preferred way to run Windows programs in Slackware?
> I had it up years ago but never got much past Solitaire. Is there a
> better program today?

Windows, itself, is a far better platform for running windows apps
than linux will ever be.

You seem to have the problem backwards. You run the OS that the
best program for your purpose demands. There is nothing wrong with
windows. And, since there are so many apps you need windows to run,
you should have a windows standalone or at least a dual-boot around
at all times.

Other than that, look at vmware.

Lew Pitcher
--
Read Lew Pitcher's official biography at http://lewpitcher.ca

See you there!
From: Lew Pitcher on
On November 13, 2009 16:49, in alt.os.linux.slackware, john(a)wexfordpress.com
(john(a)wexfordpress.com) wrote:

> Is Wine still the preferred way to run Windows programs in Slackware?

Pretty much, unless you want to install a virtualization tool (like qemu or
virtualbox) and run Windows on a virtual system within Linux.

> I had it up years ago but never got much past Solitaire. Is there a
> better program today?

Wine is pretty much it. You can purchase Wine-derivatives that have been
optimized for gaming or office products, but there's nothing else, short of
a virtual Windows system, that will run Windows apps on a Linux system.

--
Lew Pitcher

From: john on
On Nov 13, 4:54 pm, Lew Pitcher <lewpitc...(a)lewpitcher.ca> wrote:
> j...(a)wexfordpress.com <j...(a)wexfordpress.com> trolled:
>
> > Is Wine still the preferred way to run Windows programs in Slackware?
> > I had it up years ago but never got much past Solitaire. Is there a
> > better program today?
>
> Windows, itself, is a far better platform for running windows apps
> than linux will ever be.
>
> You seem to have the problem backwards.  You run the OS that the
> best program for your purpose demands.  There is nothing wrong with
> windows.  And, since there are so many apps you need windows to run,
> you should have a windows standalone or at least a dual-boot around
> at all times.
>
> Other than that, look at vmware.
>
> Lew Pitcher
> --
> Read Lew Pitcher's official biography athttp://lewpitcher.ca
>
> See you there!

I have a Windows XP partition up. The app that I need is Pub-assist,
an accounting program. It would be
a bore to reboot every time a transaction occurred. All the other
programs I use regularly are FOSS.

I will look at vmware.

John Culleton
From: Lew Pitcher on
Lew Pitcher <lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> trolled:
> On November 13, 2009 16:49, in alt.os.linux.slackware, john(a)wexfordpress.com
> (john(a)wexfordpress.com) wrote:

This is NOT Lew Pitcher. This is the troll known as "Dan C"
impersonating him.

Lew Pitcher
--
Read Lew Pitcher's official biography at http://lewpitcher.ca