From: Andy3142 on
I recently reformatted the HD and reinstalled windows XP professional SP 3.
It hasn't been right since! One thing is that CISVC.EXE hogs the CPU. I know
how to turn it off, but I don't want to interfere with Windows search, which
I rely on - are CISVC and search the same thing, or not?

If they are the same, then I can't turn CISVC off, so how do I control it?
why is it a problem now, and not before? Since reformatting I have loaded
Norton 360 antivirus, and also installed an external HD. Could these affect
things? There is a very old hotifx reported that CISVC can hog CPU when an
external HD is installed but not physically present. However this should have
been fixed well before SP3. Just to be sure I un-installed the external HD
and the problem is still the same.

Also, windows Search indexing seems to be stuck. In the last day day it has
been running continuously but indexed only about ten files, indeed the total
indexed sometimes goes DOWN, and it is not reporting "indexing completed".
Does this make sense, or is it buganostic?

All thoughts gratefully received!

Andy

Bristol
From: SC Tom on

"Andy3142" <Andy3142(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently reformatted the HD and reinstalled windows XP professional SP
> 3.
> It hasn't been right since! One thing is that CISVC.EXE hogs the CPU. I
> know
> how to turn it off, but I don't want to interfere with Windows search,
> which
> I rely on - are CISVC and search the same thing, or not?
>
> If they are the same, then I can't turn CISVC off, so how do I control it?
> why is it a problem now, and not before? Since reformatting I have loaded
> Norton 360 antivirus, and also installed an external HD. Could these
> affect
> things? There is a very old hotifx reported that CISVC can hog CPU when
> an
> external HD is installed but not physically present. However this should
> have
> been fixed well before SP3. Just to be sure I un-installed the external HD
> and the problem is still the same.
>
> Also, windows Search indexing seems to be stuck. In the last day day it
> has
> been running continuously but indexed only about ten files, indeed the
> total
> indexed sometimes goes DOWN, and it is not reporting "indexing completed".
> Does this make sense, or is it buganostic?
>
> All thoughts gratefully received!
>
> Andy
>
> Bristol

Read this
http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/02/15/what-is-cisvcexe-and-why-does-it-slow-down-my-computer/
Maybe it'll explain some of it.
--
SC Tom

From: Andy3142 on
I think I fixed the problem, though I don't understand why. I went into

control panel > administrative tools > computer managment > indexing service
> system >directories

and set all the directories to NO except for C:\documents and settings. I
particular it had previously had "index C:\" set to YES, and setting this to
NO seemed to instantly and - so far - permanently completely cure the
problem. But why it occurs, I do not know.
I also reduced the priority under Action > all tasks > tune performance, but
this didn't appear to be the cure.

Hope this helps someone in future!

Andy