From: randalel on
I am tring to help a friend start her laptop compaq nc6000 xp home.When i
started on it i push the start button it ran the memory check then an error
came up.Total memory installed:524288 kbytes.CMOS checksum invalid,default
values loaded.It had these 3 boxes at the bottom,(f1 save changes)(f2 injnore
changes changes)(f10 computer setup) when i pressed any of the keys it did
nothing.the other said 162-system options not set.the following configuration
was not set.At present i press the start buttom it boots about 6 seconds
then cuts off.Thanks in advance.Also i cannot get into BIOS.
From: Don Phillipson on
"randalel" <randalel(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am tring to help a friend start her laptop compaq nc6000 xp home.When i
> started on it i push the start button it ran the memory check then an
error
> came up.Total memory installed:524288 kbytes.CMOS checksum invalid,default
> values loaded.It had these 3 boxes at the bottom,(f1 save changes)(f2
injnore
> changes changes)(f10 computer setup) when i pressed any of the keys it did
> nothing.the other said 162-system options not set.the following
configuration
> was not set.At present i press the start buttom it boots about 6 seconds
> then cuts off.Thanks in advance.Also i cannot get into BIOS.

On a laptop, this probably indicates battery failure.
What difference does it make if the mains transformer is connected?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs