From: "Antti "Andy" Ylikoski" on
Antti "Andy" Ylikoski wrote:
> D Herring wrote:

>>> Sorry for confused. After all, i settled down at CLISP (from GNU) ;;
>>> Still i'm baby for Common Lisp, many many help me from now on ^^;
>>
>> Please read this review of the different options.
>> http://common-lisp.net/~dlw/LispSurvey.html
>>
>> Clisp is good. If you are interested in CMUCL for speed, SBCL is
>> another good option (it forked from CMUCL many years ago). GCL is not
>> widely used today.
>>
>> My suggestion: stay with clisp until it causes a problem. By then,
>> you should have learned enough to pick another implementation more
>> suitable to your needs. The ansi standard and many portability
>> libraries make it easy to switch.
>>
>> - Daniel
>
> See
>
> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/
>
> the information there is a little bit outdated:
>
> Clozure Common LISP has SLIME and works under Windows
> Embeddable Common LISP is missing
> many others are missing
>
> Antti Ylikoski
> Helsinki, Finland, the EU

IMHO the CLISP contains bugs.... Never came across one in the Clozure CCL.

Andy
From: Zach Beane on
"Antti \"Andy\" Ylikoski" <antti.ylikoski(a)hut.fi> writes:

> IMHO the CLISP contains bugs.... Never came across one in the Clozure CCL.

Bugs are not typically matters of opinion. What bug did you encounter
with CLISP? Perhaps it can be eliminated in future versions.

Zach
From: "Antti "Andy" Ylikoski" on
Zach Beane wrote:
> "Antti \"Andy\" Ylikoski" <antti.ylikoski(a)hut.fi> writes:
>
>> IMHO the CLISP contains bugs.... Never came across one in the Clozure CCL.
>
> Bugs are not typically matters of opinion. What bug did you encounter
> with CLISP? Perhaps it can be eliminated in future versions.
>
> Zach

Two times I have succeeded in crashing the CLISP, without any really
informative error message. "CLISP.exe stopped working" or such was what
I got.

One bug which I can remember that I had a function such as

(defun prove (goals depth mark continuation assertions) ..... )

and I had called it with (approximately) the argument list

(prove '(append.....) 4 *trail* '(funcall ...) '(if () then ()))

and as a result the program crashed because the argument "mark" was not
given a value -- even though the global variable *trail* did have a
value. (I discovered this with the debugger.)

regards, Antti Ylikoski
Helsinki, Finland, the EU

PS. As one can guess, this program was a Prolog interpreter written in
LISP.

Idem
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
"Antti \"Andy\" Ylikoski" <antti.ylikoski(a)hut.fi> writes:

> Zach Beane wrote:
>> "Antti \"Andy\" Ylikoski" <antti.ylikoski(a)hut.fi> writes:
>>
>>> IMHO the CLISP contains bugs.... Never came across one in the Clozure CCL.
>>
>> Bugs are not typically matters of opinion. What bug did you encounter
>> with CLISP? Perhaps it can be eliminated in future versions.
>>
>> Zach
>
> Two times I have succeeded in crashing the CLISP, without any really
> informative error message. "CLISP.exe stopped working" or such was
> what I got.
>
> One bug which I can remember that I had a function such as
>
> (defun prove (goals depth mark continuation assertions) ..... )
>
> and I had called it with (approximately) the argument list
>
> (prove '(append.....) 4 *trail* '(funcall ...) '(if () then ()))
>
> and as a result the program crashed because the argument "mark" was
> not given a value -- even though the global variable *trail* did have
> a value. (I discovered this with the debugger.)
>
> regards, Antti Ylikoski
> Helsinki, Finland, the EU
>
> PS. As one can guess, this program was a Prolog interpreter written
> in LISP.

That's strange. Perhaps on MS-Windows this clisp.exe had not been
compiled with all the nice libraries that are needed to get good
handling of memory faults and stack overflows?

This is not the kind of things clisp breaks on unix targets
(approximately, it happens only with FFI).

Perhaps you should give a complete and precise bug report on
mailto:clisp-list(a)lists.sourceforge.net

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: "Antti "Andy" Ylikoski" on
Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> "Antti \"Andy\" Ylikoski" <antti.ylikoski(a)hut.fi> writes:
>
>> Zach Beane wrote:

>>> Bugs are not typically matters of opinion. What bug did you encounter
>>> with CLISP? Perhaps it can be eliminated in future versions.
>>>
>>> Zach
>> Two times I have succeeded in crashing the CLISP, without any really
>> informative error message. "CLISP.exe stopped working" or such was
>> what I got.
>>
>> One bug which I can remember that I had a function such as
>>
>> (defun prove (goals depth mark continuation assertions) ..... )
>>
>> and I had called it with (approximately) the argument list
>>
>> (prove '(append.....) 4 *trail* '(funcall ...) '(if () then ()))
>>
>> and as a result the program crashed because the argument "mark" was
>> not given a value -- even though the global variable *trail* did have
>> a value. (I discovered this with the debugger.)
>>
>> regards, Antti Ylikoski
>> Helsinki, Finland, the EU
>>
>> PS. As one can guess, this program was a Prolog interpreter written
>> in LISP.
>
> That's strange. Perhaps on MS-Windows this clisp.exe had not been
> compiled with all the nice libraries that are needed to get good
> handling of memory faults and stack overflows?
>
> This is not the kind of things clisp breaks on unix targets
> (approximately, it happens only with FFI).
>
> Perhaps you should give a complete and precise bug report on
> mailto:clisp-list(a)lists.sourceforge.net

I'm not using the old MS-DOS.

I'm running Microsoft Windows 7 in a laptop PC with an AMD dual-core
processor running at 1.2 GHz, 3GB of RAM and 220 GB of hard disk.

At this moment I'm using a local library's WLAN.

regards, Antti J. Ylikoski
Helsinki, Finland, the EU