From: Tibor Karaszi on
NOINIT is not the problem. Let me try it and see if I get the same behaviour in the GUI as you
describe:

BACKUP DATABASE pubs
TO DISK = N'C:\pubs.bak'
WITH INIT, COPY_ONLY

Right-click Databases folder, Restore Database, Type in "pubs" for database name, select "from
device", press "..."
Backup media: File
File name: C:\pubs.bak, OK
OK
.... and indeed, there is nothing listed!

OK, lets do the same except I don't specify COPY_ONLY... And now the backup is listed! So, my
apologies. I was incorrect. I'm surprised that the backup somehow indicated it was done using
COPY_ONLY. Let me try something else:

BACKUP DATABASE pubs
TO DISK = N'C:\pubs.bak'
WITH INIT

BACKUP DATABASE pubs
TO DISK = N'C:\pubs.bak'
WITH NOINIT, COPY_ONLY

RESTORE HEADERONLY FROM DISK = N'C:\pubs.bak'

Yes, RESTORE HEADERONLY does indicate whether the backup was done using COPY_ONLY. I see a
difference in the "flags" column as well as the "IsCopyOnly" column. And the restore dialog only
show the first backup. Let me now try the other way around:

BACKUP DATABASE pubs
TO DISK = N'C:\pubs.bak'
WITH INIT, COPY_ONLY

BACKUP DATABASE pubs
TO DISK = N'C:\pubs.bak'
WITH NOINIT

Now the restore dialog only show the second backup in the backup file (position 2). I get the same
result if I type in some other database name to restore into (a non-existing database).

So, the restore dialog does indeed refuse to list backups done using COPY_ONLY. So here's another
reason to type the RESTORE command instead of relying on how the GUI developer believe the restore
should be done... :-)

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp