From: David Murray on

> > please I would like to know if there is a reference site for CP/M
> > software for the C128..

In all of my years with Commodore equipment, I've never once seen a CP/
M program running on a C128 other than the stuff that comes on the CP/
M startup disk you get with the C128. I do admit a curiosity to see
something actually running on there, but I can't so much as find a
screenshot or youtube video or anything on the subject.
From: BruceMcF on
On Mar 22, 9:09 pm, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > please I would like to know if there is a reference site for CP/M
> > > software for the C128..
>
> In all of my years with Commodore equipment, I've never once seen a CP/
> M program running on a C128 other than the stuff that comes on the CP/
> M startup disk you get with the C128.    I do admit a curiosity to see
> something actually running on there, but I can't so much as find a
> screenshot or youtube video or anything on the subject.

I know you can run VDE, since I did, but if I recall correctly the
install program had to be used to define the terminal functions. I
don't think I ever had a chance to try out dBase or Visicalc, which
would have been the two other programs you'd want to use.

The problem with CP/M on the C128 is that the Z80 or 8080 before it
were never "clock cycle per memory access" processors, so running it
at 2MHz was silly ... running it at the 8Mhz "dot" clock or 4MHz "half
dot clock" with wait states to allow it to access the 2MHz memory bus
would have resulted in a much more useful system, at least if one had
the 1571 or 1581 disk drive.

I only had my C128D for a short period before plugging the power tap
for my printer interface into the datasette port upside down and
frying the 8502 processor ... I had a C128 in Grenada, but left it
there, and it was a C64 with The Write Stuff word processor and a
daisywheel printer that I used for word processing in grad school in
the early 90's.
From: Christian Brandt on
Am 23.03.2010 03:27, schrieb BruceMcF:

> The problem with CP/M on the C128 is that the Z80 or 8080 before it
> were never "clock cycle per memory access" processors, so running it
> at 2MHz was silly ... running it at the 8Mhz "dot" clock or 4MHz "half
> dot clock" with wait states to allow it to access the 2MHz memory bus
> would have resulted in a much more useful system, at least if one had
> the 1571 or 1581 disk drive.

You mention a good point, C128-CP/M is INCREDIBLY slow.

Using a 1541 was nearly 30 times slower than same-day Osbornes and for
many, maybe most, the 1541 was the only choice because the 1570/71/81
came very late and was quite expensive.

But also the computing power was pretty bad. An Amstrad/Schneider Joyce
(maybe the CPCs too) running CP/M is six to eight times faster. The
Joyce did costed a little bit more than a naked C128 but came with
floppy, printer and screen.

I remember that an Altair-clone outperformed the C128 nearly twice,
running on a 2Mhz 8080. A slower version of a 1975 computer outperformes
a 1985 system with nearly ten times more circuits build in... talk about
epic fail :-)

Still I have a C128 with a version of Turbo Pascal and Wordstar though
I only gave a quick try for Turbo Pascal and rarely used Wordstar.

Christian Brandt

From: Bill Buckels on
On Mar 22, 3:45 pm, PK <f.ke...(a)LEVAMIlibero.it> wrote:
> Hello,
> please I would like to know if there is a reference site for CP/M
> software for the C128..

Why not visit my CP/M site...

Welcome to the Wonderfully Ancient World of
The C128 and C64 CP/M 80 Links Page

http://www.cpm8680.com/cpmc64/

Regards,

Bill Buckels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bill_Buckels

http://www.cpm8680.com/
http://www.appleoldies.ca/
http://www.c64classics.ca/

http://www.aztecmuseum.ca/

http://www.teacherschoice.ca/
http://www.clipshop.ca/

http://www.grindstoneharbour.com

From: BruceMcF on
On Mar 23, 9:20 pm, Christian Brandt <bran...(a)psi5.com> wrote:
>  Using a 1541 was nearly 30 times slower than same-day Osbornes and for
> many, maybe most, the 1541 was the only choice because the 1570/71/81
> came very late and was quite expensive.

Where was it that the 1571 and 1581 came very late? I recall the 1571
coming out alongside the C128. I can't imagine using the 1541 with a
C128 unless using a 1581 as the main drive and the 1541 to run games.

Indeed, my heaviest use of the C64 was in a system with a 1581 in the
early 90's, with Big Blue Reader to sneaker net MS-DOS disks from the
computer lab at school to work on at home.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: CP/M and C128
Next: fast load cartridge for sale