From: HT-Lab on

"Andy Botterill" <andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Scorpiion wrote:
>
> The ISIM simulator does work under linux.
>
> I have no knowledge of VHDL simulators for linux.

It is called Modelsim DE (just released)

The good news is that it includes PSL/SVA so assertions are no longer reserved
for the big boys :-)

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

From: Habib Bouaziz-Viallet on
Le Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:42:15 -0700, austin a écrit :

> Programming tools (the JTAG programming cable) used with Linux are
> always a bit tough to get to work (just read the posts on the subject)
> as support of USB isn't as trivial as it is with 'Windoze.'
Are you sure of that ? Xilinx windrv ported to linux is a nightmare. I'm
using this library <http://www.rmdir.de/~michael/xilinx/> fairly support
cable III, cableIV and this one http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/
Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,395,716&Prod=XUP-USB-JTAG i'm using for the moment.

You can read the XAPP502 if you want to deeply embed programming CPLD/
FPGA. As an example PROGRAM, CCLK, DIN, INIT, DONE signals are quite
easily driven by a microcontroller to do the job with a .bit or .rbt file.

After a discussion with M. Delorie in this very ng, i found XAPP058 a bit
complicated for my needs ...

Habib

From: Uwe Bonnes on
austin <austin(a)xilinx.com> wrote:

> Programming tools (the JTAG programming cable) used with Linux are
> always a bit tough to get to work (just read the posts on the subject)
> as support of USB isn't as trivial as it is with 'Windoze.'

Xc3sprog at sourceforge is also supposed to work out of the box for many
cable and devices. I am interessted in cases where it doesn't.

--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: Nico Coesel on
Uwe Bonnes <bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

>- Voltage tolerance needed (only XC95XV is (limited ) 5-Volt tolerant

Xilinx's Spartan 2 (not 2E!) is also 5V tolerant. Same goes for older
Virtex devices.

"If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"
From: Anssi Saari on
"Scorpiion" <Robert.nr1(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I have looked at some of Xilinks and Alteras homepages and it seams that
> they have software for Linux. But it would be good to hear from someone
> with experince how the different software packages work?

I've used Xilinx ISE and EDK in Linux a lot, Modelsim too (the
expensive Modelsim SE usually). They work just fine, since version 9.1
as I recall. Previous versions were a little bad in the GUI
department, since that was done with some kind of converter tool.

I haven't really used a Xilinx cable driver in Linux since 2006.
Worked fine then, but the labs I've been in since then have had
Windows machines.

> (if some company have better software than other, or someones
> software is better for the Linux platform)

You may want to look at the free offerings from Lattice and Actel too,
as far as I know they provide free Modelsim and Synplify. Not sure if
they provide it for a student though.

I don't know what the story is with Altera. I vaguely remember
finding, downloading and running their free Web Edition for Linux last
spring, but I can't find it now.