From: Whoever on
I have an NFORCE3 based motherboard and an Athlon64 3000+ CPU.

I can't seem to get frequency scaling to work -- the appropriate pseudo
files do not exist in /sys:

# ls /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/
cache topology

I would expect to see also a "cpufreq" dirctory at that level.

I think I have everything enabled in my kernel config:

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CPU_FREQ
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y

What have I missed?
From: Whoever on

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Whoever wrote:

> I have an NFORCE3 based motherboard and an Athlon64 3000+ CPU.
>
> I can't seem to get frequency scaling to work -- the appropriate pseudo files
> do not exist in /sys:
>
> # ls /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/
> cache topology
>
> I would expect to see also a "cpufreq" dirctory at that level.
>
> I think I have everything enabled in my kernel config:
>
> zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CPU_FREQ
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y
>
> What have I missed?

I have more info:
dmesg | grep power
powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ processors (version
2.00.00)
powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects

Does this mean that the BIOS doesn't support cpu freq scaling?
From: Anton Ertl on
Whoever <nobody(a)devnull.none> writes:
>powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects
>
>Does this mean that the BIOS doesn't support cpu freq scaling?

Maybe. Or you have not enabled it in the BIOS setup.

- anton
anton(a)mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen
From: AZ Nomad on
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:29:01 GMT, Anton Ertl <anton(a)mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

>Whoever <nobody(a)devnull.none> writes:
>>powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects
>>
>>Does this mean that the BIOS doesn't support cpu freq scaling?

>Maybe. Or you have not enabled it in the BIOS setup.

I don't think the BIOS has anything to do with it. You have to have a cpu and
chipset that support it and build a kernel with it. I'm using:

#
# CPU Frequency scaling
#
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set

and, of course, I've built cpufreqd and cpufrequtils
From: Anton Ertl on
AZ Nomad <aznomad.2(a)PremoveOBthisOX.COM> writes:
>On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:29:01 GMT, Anton Ertl <anton(a)mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>

>>Whoever <nobody(a)devnull.none> writes:
>>>powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects
>>>
>>>Does this mean that the BIOS doesn't support cpu freq scaling?
>
>>Maybe. Or you have not enabled it in the BIOS setup.
>
>I don't think the BIOS has anything to do with it. You have to have a cpu and
>chipset that support it and build a kernel with it.

And you have to enable Cool'n'Quiet in the BIOS setting, or your fine
CPU and kernel just won't do it.

>and, of course, I've built cpufreqd and cpufrequtils

These, OTOH, are unnecessary (unless you want to play games with the
userspace governor).