From: moonpie on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:31:17 +0000 (UTC), Glennbo
<vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote:

>The killer robot moonpie <mr_rc_moonpie(a)yahoo.com> grabbed the controls of
>the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>>>My drum kit.
>>>
>>>http://members.cox.net/glennbo/PadDrums.jpg and
>>>http://members.cox.net/glennbopix/ReaperDrums.jpg
>>
>> it says "Superior Drums". I guess those are ToonTrack, not some sort
>> of native Reaper drum thing? So you posted those pics to say, YES, it
>> does it exactly the same way as sonar?
>
>Yeah, that's Superior Dummer 2 which is EZ-Drummer's big brother, and like
>you I use a pad kit to play Superior when I'm recording.

>>>At 1ms latency on my system.
>>

>> uh.... is that better or worse than sonar?
>>
>> Ha! you guys are about a billion miles ahead of me in all this.
>
>1ms is ultra fast, and makes it so no lag is felt. I was able to hit 1.5ms
>latency with Sonar, but at the cost of dealing with flakey stuff happening.

ok thanks.

is there anything that you can do in sonar, that you really cant do in
reaper?

how about reaper tutorials? are they easy to find?
From: moonpie on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:28:17 +0000 (UTC), Glennbo
<vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote:

>The killer robot moonpie <mr_rc_moonpie(a)yahoo.com> grabbed the controls of
>the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> is there anything that you can do in sonar, that you really cant do in
>> reaper?
>
>Not anything that I ever did in Sonar, but I use both Sonar and Reaper
>mostly to record performances of me or others actually playing a part, so
>more often than not, I'm simply hitting record and then playing something.
>There are numerous tricks that Reaper can do that Sonar cannot do though.
>You can side-chain *any* automatable plugin in Reaper, as it allows you to
>use the changing levels on one track tweak FX parameters on a completely
>different track. It also will let you either stack multiple softsynths on
>one track, or you can have one midi track drive softsynths on multiple
>other tracks. The latter can easily be laced up using drag-n-drop routing,
>which is in fact, exactly what I used on a song I'm currently working on.
>
>http://members.cox.net/glennbopix/Drag-n-DropRouting.avi
>
>> how about reaper tutorials? are they easy to find?
>
>There are some up on youtube.com, and their forum can answer most if not
>all questions you might have on how to accomplish things.

thank you, you're very helpful.

I might try it, after i get two songs finished in sonar, i might play
around with reaper.., i dont think changing horses in midstream is too
good of an idea right now

are you on the reaper forum?
From: moonpie on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 18:17:29 +0000 (UTC), Glennbo
<vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote:

>The killer robot moonpie <mr_rc_moonpie(a)yahoo.com> grabbed the controls
>of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>>>The killer robot moonpie <mr_rc_moonpie(a)yahoo.com> grabbed the
>>>controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

>>>Not anything that I ever did in Sonar, but I use both Sonar and Reaper
>>>mostly to record performances of me or others actually playing a part,
>>>so more often than not, I'm simply hitting record and then playing
>>>something. There are numerous tricks that Reaper can do that Sonar
>>>cannot do though. You can side-chain *any* automatable plugin in
>>>Reaper, as it allows you to use the changing levels on one track tweak
>>>FX parameters on a completely different track. It also will let you
>>>either stack multiple softsynths on one track, or you can have one
>>>midi track drive softsynths on multiple other tracks. The latter can
>>>easily be laced up using drag-n-drop routing, which is in fact,
>>>exactly what I used on a song I'm currently working on.
>>>
>>>http://members.cox.net/glennbopix/Drag-n-DropRouting.avi

>>>There are some up on youtube.com, and their forum can answer most if
>>>not all questions you might have on how to accomplish things.
>>

>> thank you, you're very helpful.
>>
>> I might try it, after i get two songs finished in sonar, i might play
>> around with reaper.., i dont think changing horses in midstream is too
>> good of an idea right now
>
>I wouldn't suggest doing anything more than playing around with Reaper at
>first. For me, I real quickly found it to be more resilliant to my piling
>on FX and running at ultra low latency, and since I was between projects, I
>just started my next one in Reaper to see how far I'd get. Thirty or so
>songs later, I'm still using it. ;)

I take it Reaper works in Windows XP as well as Windows 7?

From: Nil on
On 15 Jun 2010, moonpie <mr_rc_moonpie(a)yahoo.com> wrote in
cakewalk.audio:

> I take it Reaper works in Windows XP as well as Windows 7?

Yes! I've got it running in XP, Vista, and 7. I've only worked
extensively with it in XP, though.
From: polymod on

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> The killer robot "polymod" <polymod(a)optonline.net> grabbed the controls
> of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> >> "My God, it's full of stars" <G>
> >>
> >> I am so impressed with Justin and his work, and I'm not easily
> >> impressed.
> >
> > I've been using Reaper more and more. Great freaking app.
>
> To do the four layer BIG instrument (one midi track to four softsynths) in
> my upcoming latest toon, would have been a hassle in Sonar, but only took
> seconds for me to create it in Reaper.

I like the fact that I can just 'drag' stuff and add just about any plug I
need. Real EZ.
Not to mention the low latency....

"I told you not to mention the low latency!!!!"

Poly