From: moonpie on

Hello all.

I have a question that I'm afraid I may already know the answer to,
and I dont like it...

I'm doing a mixdown of a song my band is recording, and there are
quite a few tracks, with many effects. Whenever possible, individual
tracks are routed to a Bus with effects on the bus (and not on the
individual tracks)

Even so, when i'm mixing down, I get CPU usage of 48% and its causing
the dreaded dropouts. Short of eliminating effects, or
freezing/bouncing tracks, would adding more RAM to the machine help
with this issue? I'm running Home Studio 6 under Windows XP, with 2
gigs of ram.

I'm thinking no, it wouldnt help, only a faser processor would... but
I dont know.

Any advice would be appreciated.

From: Sue Morton on
Since you're mixing, and not recording, have you increased the
latency/buffers? When I record I have my ASIO latency set as low as
possible, this is often sufficient for mixing too... but when there are
many synths and/or many tracks, many effects, etc. I have raised latency
as high as 100+ in order to work. Latency really means nothing unless
you are recording from outside source, or working with realtime video.

Give that a try?

N.B. "If five is good, then 20 is better" in my experience does NOT
apply here. Some soundcard drivers can introduce new problems if
latency is too high. Go only as high as you need to get the job done is
what I recommend. Good luck!
--
Sue Morton

From: Gary R. Hook on
On 6/14/2010 9:00 AM, Sue Morton wrote:
> Since you're mixing, and not recording, have you increased the
> latency/buffers? When I record I have my ASIO latency set as low as
> possible, this is often sufficient for mixing too... but when there are
> many synths and/or many tracks, many effects, etc. I have raised latency
> as high as 100+ in order to work. Latency really means nothing unless
> you are recording from outside source, or working with realtime video.

Right. The only oddity you'll experience is a delay between stopping
playback (hitting the spacebar?) and actual cessation of sound. Or
tweaks to an effect before it becomes audible. But even at 100+ ms the
delay is not unpleasant.

Also agree that you don't want to make it too long. But something in
the 100 - 130 ms range can alleviate a lot of stress on the CPU while
still providing modest playback performance.
From: moonpie on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:37:43 -0500, "Gary R. Hook"
<obfuscate(a)nospam.net> wrote:

>On 6/14/2010 9:00 AM, Sue Morton wrote:
>> Since you're mixing, and not recording, have you increased the
>> latency/buffers? When I record I have my ASIO latency set as low as
>> possible, this is often sufficient for mixing too... but when there are
>> many synths and/or many tracks, many effects, etc. I have raised latency
>> as high as 100+ in order to work. Latency really means nothing unless
>> you are recording from outside source, or working with realtime video.
>
>Right. The only oddity you'll experience is a delay between stopping
>playback (hitting the spacebar?) and actual cessation of sound. Or
>tweaks to an effect before it becomes audible. But even at 100+ ms the
>delay is not unpleasant.
>
>Also agree that you don't want to make it too long. But something in
>the 100 - 130 ms range can alleviate a lot of stress on the CPU while
>still providing modest playback performance.

I'll try that, great idea. Never considered that. Its a work in
progress, like most i suppose... mix some, then somebody says, well,
you should really add an electric 12 string to double this part... So
then I have to add another track, and then turn off all the effects on
everything, just to be able to record another track without it
dropping out.,.. very weird, but if thats how it is, then ok

one thing i've noticed, i often get a hard droput near the very end,
at the same spot every time. I've noticed it "hangs up" when it gets
to a spot where the audio on two tracks ends suddenly, the rest of the
tracks keep going. Its like the play bar gets to the spot where those
two tracks run out of audio, and it just stops.

Is it possible that a sudden end to audio information could cause a
hiccup like that?

From: polymod on

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> In news:f3ic1655m5s8eph2tglms7mr2v0q13fnmh(a)4ax.com the killer robot
moonpie
> <mr_rc_moonpie(a)yahoo.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> > Is it possible that a sudden end to audio information could cause a
> > hiccup like that?
>
> I've seen that with Sonar before, and ended up adding recorded silence to
> the end of the song, then bouncing the audible and silent clips into one
> single clip. Sonar's audio engine is pretty finicky, and easy to cause
> pops, clicks, and even dropouts.

Yup.
Reaper 3.60 is up<g>

Poly