From: Lorne on
I have Windows 7 home premium running on an AMD X6-1055 6 core processor.
If I start Windows and leave it doing nothing except the background
processes loaded at boot time the CPU runs continuously at 14/15%.

When I inspect task manager it tells me system idle process is 99%, and none
of the 80 running processes register above 0%, but at the bottom CPU use is
still 14%+.

When I look at the performance tab one processor (always the same one) is
running at 85-90% and the others near zero.

When I use a motherboard utility it shows the same thing - one processor at
85%+ and the others near zero.

How do I find out what is running to cause this when task manager does not
show the process? I have run Malwarebytes - it shows nothing unpleasant on
the computer.

From: poutnik on
In article <eAFlOUPHLHA.4596(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
lorne_anderson(a)hotmail.com says...

> I have Windows 7 home premium running on an AMD X6-1055 6 core processor.
> If I start Windows and leave it doing nothing except the background
> processes loaded at boot time the CPU runs continuously at 14/15%.
>
> When I inspect task manager it tells me system idle process is 99%, and none
> of the 80 running processes register above 0%, but at the bottom CPU use is
> still 14%+.
>
> When I look at the performance tab one processor (always the same one) is
> running at 85-90% and the others near zero.
>
> When I use a motherboard utility it shows the same thing - one processor at
> 85%+ and the others near zero.
>
> How do I find out what is running to cause this when task manager does not
> show the process? I have run Malwarebytes - it shows nothing unpleasant on
> the computer.

Try to run Process Explorer by Sysinternals (now Microsoft),
as elevated admin. I guess Win Task Manager need not to show all,
PE may show more processes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
From: Lorne on
"Lorne" <lorne_anderson(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows 7 home premium running on an AMD X6-1055 6 core processor.
> If I start Windows and leave it doing nothing except the background
> processes loaded at boot time the CPU runs continuously at 14/15%.
>
> When I inspect task manager it tells me system idle process is 99%, and
> none of the 80 running processes register above 0%, but at the bottom CPU
> use is still 14%+.
>
> When I look at the performance tab one processor (always the same one) is
> running at 85-90% and the others near zero.
>
> When I use a motherboard utility it shows the same thing - one processor
> at 85%+ and the others near zero.
>
> How do I find out what is running to cause this when task manager does not
> show the process? I have run Malwarebytes - it shows nothing unpleasant
> on the computer.

I made some progress. I found windows system monitor and it shows me that
the cpu usage is caused by system interrupts. What I now need is to work
out which interrupt is causing the problem. any idea how to do that?

From: Lorne on
> "Lorne" <lorne_anderson(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have Windows 7 home premium running on an AMD X6-1055 6 core processor.
>> If I start Windows and leave it doing nothing except the background
>> processes loaded at boot time the CPU runs continuously at 14/15%.
>>
>> When I inspect task manager it tells me system idle process is 99%, and
>> none of the 80 running processes register above 0%, but at the bottom CPU
>> use is still 14%+.
>>
>> When I look at the performance tab one processor (always the same one) is
>> running at 85-90% and the others near zero.
>>
>> When I use a motherboard utility it shows the same thing - one processor
>> at 85%+ and the others near zero.
>>
>> How do I find out what is running to cause this when task manager does
>> not show the process? I have run Malwarebytes - it shows nothing
>> unpleasant on the computer.
>
> I made some progress. I found windows system monitor and it shows me that
> the cpu usage is caused by system interrupts. What I now need is to work
> out which interrupt is causing the problem. any idea how to do that?

An interesting additional effect is that if I put the computer into sleep
mode and wake it up the problem disappears - cpu down to 1 or 2% and use of
cpu by interrupts under effectively zero.

Does anybody have detailed knowledge of what sleep mode actually does that
may change the behavior of interrupts?

From: Nunya on
On Jul 6, 9:18 am, "Lorne" <lorne_ander...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Lorne" <lorne_ander...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > "Lorne" <lorne_ander...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have Windows 7 home premium running on an AMD X6-1055 6 core processor.
> >> If I start Windows and leave it doing nothing except the background
> >> processes loaded at boot time the CPU runs continuously at 14/15%.
>
> >> When I inspect task manager it tells me system idle process is 99%, and
> >> none of the 80 running processes register above 0%, but at the bottom CPU
> >> use is still 14%+.
>
> >> When I look at the performance tab one processor (always the same one) is
> >> running at 85-90% and the others near zero.
>
> >> When I use a motherboard utility it shows the same thing - one processor
> >> at 85%+ and the others near zero.
>
> >> How do I find out what is running to cause this when task manager does
> >> not show the process?  I have run Malwarebytes - it shows nothing
> >> unpleasant on the computer.
>
> > I made some progress.  I found windows system monitor and it shows me that
> > the cpu usage is caused by system interrupts.  What I now need is to work
> > out which interrupt is causing the problem.  any idea how to do that?
>
> An interesting additional effect is that if I put the computer into sleep
> mode and wake it up the problem disappears - cpu down to 1 or 2% and use of
> cpu by interrupts under effectively zero.
>
> Does anybody have detailed knowledge of what sleep mode actually does  that
> may change the behavior of interrupts?

Sounds like motherboard level or OS level CPU slowdown protocols being
implemented.
IOW, 10% use at full speed is easy, whereas 10% use when the CPU is
clocked down 80%
is quite a lot of work for it.