From: Axel Dahmen on
I don't want to interlude, but I fully agree with Thomas. All the solutions
you have provided so far, Jon, are all heuristic. Your solutions are trying
to reproduce a non-existing feature by making assumptions on the font that's
being used. Or even on the bullet character being used.

But that's not the design principle behind CSS - and I'm referring to the
word "cascading" in CSS here... If I have assigned a bullet character in
some rule and a font in some other rule, perhaps even some other file, then
I *can't* possibly know the dimensions of the bullet. And getting so much
hard-coded isn't desired at all. CSS is not about try & error, it's about
abstract design.

Let me give some examples of how I imagine Jon's examples to be implemented
*with* my suggestion in place:

body
{font-family: SomeGaudyFont, serif;
}

ul
{list-style-type: "—";
}

ul:marker
{color: red;
font-size: 200%;
}

From: Axel Dahmen on
Another example:

body
{font-family: SomeGaudyFont, serif;
}

ul
{list-style-type: "|---->";
}

ul:marker
{color: red;
font-size: 200%;
padding-right: 1em;
}

From: Ben C on
On 2010-03-22, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
[...]
> Of course not, but that is what one must assume that you assume when you
> position a list-item marker like that. Else it is fairly obvious that you
> are merely guessing the correct position,

As opposed to having the browser guess it for you.

> and will be more often wrong than right in doing so. In particular,
> you will be only correct for a specific character of a specific font
> with a specific font-size, font-style, and text-decoration.

What's the criterion for "correct" here?

> While you may be able to control the first one, and maybe even the
> latter to, you have absolutely no control about the font that will be
> used. And that is where this approach fails bad to meet the
> requirements of a list-item marker.

What are the requirements of a list-item marker?