From: Johnny Rosenberg on
2010/8/12 Clarke Rice <clarkewrice(a)yahoo.co.uk>:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way around what I describe below, or should I
> report it as a bug.
>
> Using: OOO 3.2.0 on Win Vista, and also 3.2.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 (same
> behaviour in both) and Excel 2007 under windows Vista.
>
> 1) Macros recorded in Calc and stored in ODF do not import to Excel
> (probably Excel's issue, rather than Calc's)

Excel does not understand OpenOffice.org Basic.

> 2) Macros recorded in Calc and stored in XLS files open fine in Calc, but
> are not detected by Excel.

See 1.

> 3) Macros recorded in Excel and stored as XLS open fine in Calc.  However,
> if I save changes to the XLS file, Excel cannot see the macros any more.

I don't know if OpenOffice.org Calc understand VBA these days, it
didn't a while ago anyway. Maybe OpenOffice.org Calc converts VBA to
OpenOffice.org Basic somehow, and then Excel can't understand them,
see 1 and 2.

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> Best wishes,
>
> Clarke

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Clarke Rice on
On 12/08/10 19:33, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 1) Macros recorded in Calc and stored in ODF do not import to Excel
>> (probably Excel's issue, rather than Calc's)
>>
> Excel does not understand OpenOffice.org Basic.

Thanks Johnny. This raises two questions:

1 - How easy would it be for the Calc 'save as XLS process' to convert
OOo Basic to VBA? If Calc can import VBA and interpret it, it seems at
least theoretically possible but I don't know of the practicalities or
knock-on side effects.

2 - What is the technical reason for the ODF specification not including
macros, but leaving them up to the vendor to decide upon?

From the answers to these come the issues of:
- "What do we do about organisations who are in the middle of a
migration between Calc and Excel, but the need for Macros prevents users
who have switched to Calc from sharing data with users still on Excel
(or vice-versa)?"
- "What about organisations who, for mission-specific purposes, have a
mixture of Excel and Calc and whose legacy Excel macros are causing
problems?"